Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fire!

We were watching a movie last night when Becky came down to the family room quite alarmed. "There's a cop car with its lights out sitting in front of our house. It's got the street blocked off, and it's freakin' me out!"

Now, admittedly, she gets "freaked out" easily, but Lyle went to see what was going on. Our house sits on the corner so he looked out the back door to see the other street.

"Karla, come look!" he said. "The neighbor's garage is on fire!" Flames were shooting out the roof!

When the neighborhood is filled with fire trucks and emergency vehicles galore, all the 14-year-old boys (even those in their 40s) gather to watch. Doesn't matter that it's 19 degrees and dark outside!

And of course, Mama has to get her camera just in case she might want to blog about it.

Lyle came back in to put on proper shoes and a coat, then went back out to stroll around and see if he could find out what happened. Me? Once I got my pictures (taken from the back porch), I retreated back inside where it was warm.

Turns out the neighbor guy had been smoking some meat in his smoker inside the garage, and the fire got out of control. He tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but to no avail. He hosts football parties in his garage nearly every weekend. I wonder what this bodes for his Super Bowl plans?

3 comments:

Farrah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Farrah said...

Oh boy! I hope the damage isn't too bad. I could totally hear Rebecca and Lyle saying those lines. Talk about some excitement!

A Romantic Porch said...

Well what an interesting evening. Yeah, I wonder how long it will take to get everything back to normal?
I guess it didn't get in his house...right?
xo rachel