Thursday, May 3, 2007

Unwelcome change

Variety is the spice of life, they say... and typically I enjoy change. But there are certain kinds of changes that are never very welcome. Our pastor has recently announced that he will be leaving the middle of July, and I have to say it's breaking my heart. He has pastored our church for about 40 years, and is well past the age of retirement, so I can wish him nothing but the very best... but it's oh-so-hard to let him go. My family has been under his ministry for just over 5 years, and it has been so very rich. I have recently been re-reading Francine Rivers' And the Shofar Blew and the first few chapters are an uncanny parallel to where our church is right now. I shudder to think what might happen... but my husband says I worry too much and I need to have a more positive attitude. In the first chapter of the book one of the church elders was interviewing a prospective pastor. The young man asked what the church was looking for and the elder replied, "Someone like Jesus." Obviously, no pastor is going to live up to that kind of standard, but our pastor and his wife come awfully close! It will be a very hard situation for the next pastor to come into, I know. Any decisions about the whole thing are totally out of my hands. And that's probably for the best. I can do nothing but pray... and try not to worry! There is definitely lots to pray about, and God is so good to bring peace of mind if I will just let Him!

No comments: