Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Home School Open House

While I was out blog-hopping I ran into another fun "carnival" I decided to participate in. It's the Homeschool Open House 2007 hosted by Tiany at "Less of Me~More of Him". She asked that we post a little bit about our homeschooling experience, and then glean from each other as we visit each other's blogs. Sounds like a great idea to me!

We have just started our 10th year homeschooling. It is hard to believe it has been that long already! It started off as an experiment, and at first I adopted the philosophy of it being a year-to-year thing, to be re-decided every summer. After the first year, I couldn't imagine doing anything else for the second year, and so it has grown on me. By now, learning is a life-style in our family, not just something we do during school hours... so we will be "staying the course" as the saying goes. We are 2 weeks into our first year of high school, so it's a whole new ball game... but oh-so-much-fun (most days)!

We have been using Sonlight curriculum from the very beginning, and are still very happy with it. I especially love all the great books, but also appreciate the international focus, and the strong emphasis they place on raising kids to love learning. In 2000 I became a Sonlight Curriculum Consultant to represent Sonlight at my state homeschool convention. I still do this every spring and summer at various conventions in my general area. (I attended 6 this year!) It is a lot of work, but I really enjoy getting to meet other homeschoolers and sharing about how Sonlight works for us and how it might work for other families.

Our homeschool set-up changes from year-to-year based on where we are living, what we are studying, what the kids' needs are, etc. This year, my high school daughter has set up a study corner in the living room. I'm trying to talk her into moving it into her bedroom, so we'll see how that goes. My younger daughter likes to sit on her bed or the floor in her room or *my* bed. Where we live now there is a big open room upstairs that functions as the master bedroom/office/library. The walls are lined with bookshelves, and they are all full! I love to read and learn, and count it a privilege to be able to share that passion with my children.

Visit my Homeschool Resources page for more of my best tips, and if you use Sonlight, you will find my Links for Supplementing Sonlight page helpful. Thanks for stopping by! Have a great year!

10 comments:

Kristi said...

We are using SL for our read alouds this year. Thanks for the additions!! They will be very helpful!!

Hugs!
Kristi

www.homeschoolblogger.com/Kristi

Anonymous said...

We use many of Sonlight's literature suggestions. Your blog is very pretty!

Cindy

www.homeschoolblogger.com/westward

Training Hearts said...

Great homeschooling post!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.
~Tamara
www.TrainingHearts.com

Joy said...

Oh, I love your site! Lots of info on Sonlight - I'll be back here again! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment :) I'm so glad you joined in on the open day and shared a peek into your school with us!

Love,

Joy

Susanne said...

Hi there!! I just wanted to take a minute to come by and say thanks for participating in my Mary Kay blog give away. Since you showed interest in Mary Kay products by entering the contest, I would also like to ask, do you already have a consultant who serves you??? If not, I would be honored to have that privilege! I will be hosting an MK Web party (at my Mary Kay Website - www.marykay.com/susannereeder) sometime in the next couple of weeks, and I will be posting the invitation on my blog very soon. This will be a "Mystery Hostess" party full of wonderful prizes, so be on the lookout for the all the details including the date and time. Thanks again for your interest. Have a POSITIVELY PINK day!!!
Love and Prayers,
Susanne Reeder

JoAnn said...

Thanks for sharing your homeschool with us. I always enjoy seeing what others are doing.

Have a great year!
JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Cute blog!!!!
Thanks for sharing! I've enjoyed it very much =]
Happy Homeschooling!!

Blessings,
Theresa #14

Tiany said...

Thank you for taking the time to participate in this “Homeschool Open House 2007” It has been such fun putting it together but getting a peek into your homeschool days has been the real blessing in all of this! Making some new friends along the way is the icing on the cake!

I greatly enjoyed your post and learning more about your family!


I pray you have a very blessed, fruitful and productive homeschool year!

Please email me with the subject “Open House” and in the email please send your link number from my post (I need to know what number you are on the Mister Linky) so that I can get your gift to you!

Tiany@cox.net

Hugs & Blessings~
Tiany

Christine said...

We're doing Sonlight.

I was also one of those that sad we would do this "year to year." My two oldest tried public school after our move last year to a very small town. They're both home again! :) I wouldn't trade it. Now, neither would they!

Christine said...

Sorry - meant to say we're doing Sonlight NEXT YEAR! ha! I need to go to bed!