Monday, January 12, 2009

Chinook

We were almost getting used being dumped on with snow every day or two! I heard that we got about 100 inches in less than a month. I had always wanted to experience what that was like, and now I have. I'm satisfied. I don't need to have that experience again, thank you!

With all the snow and cold, I was surprised one morning last week to open the back door and feel a warm breeze (well... 40 feels warm when it's been in the teens mostly!) and hear the drip-drip-drip of snow melting. It's still the first week of January! And much as I might like it to be, it surely can't be spring yet! No, it's a Chinook! A Chinook is a warm winter wind. According to Wikipedia it's an Indian word that means "snow eater".

It did, too! The snow is gone from my bistro set...We can see the ground in some places.
It's not nearly as pretty as the huge piles of pristine snow. The slushy, sloppy mess of melting snow is almost as hard to deal with as the plowed berms and shoveled piles everywhere. This stage is just not much fun at all.

But, hey! The sunset was still pretty that day!

1 comment:

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

I always wondered what a Chinook was. Now I know. My son says he's envious & wants to move to Idaho. Down here in the Southeast we hardly ever see snow & we've never had that much!

Thanks for sharing!