Sunday, July 28, 2013

Denim 'n' Lace Quilt

The weeks of summer race by so fast that I'm too busy gettin'-out-and-doin' to take time to get it all blogged about. Time for some catch-up, I guess, huh?

A month or two ago I happened across a picture of a gorgeous totebag on Pinterest that gave me the idea for a quilt. My mother has been on a quilt-making "kick" for the past 3 or 4 years. Knowing she and Dad were coming out for a visit soon, I emailed her a link and a note: "Got any lace scraps? I got the denim!"

And... being the life-time, frugal, saver-of-everything-practical... sure enough, she did! Her reply: "That is beautiful!  And I just might have lace.  I got rid of a large box full at the yard sale, but I think there is still a sample book or two of lace still in the basement.  That would be perfect because the pieces would be large enough, yet varied."

The denim Lyle provided in the dozen or so pairs of jeans he had recently discarded, as being too worn for further wear as work pants. Taking a cue from my mother, I had hung on to them for just such a project.

Mother found her sample books of lace panels and packed them her suitcase. A day or two after they arrived, we set to work. 
After Mother figured out the pattern, I did most of the cutting and marking.
She did all of the sewing, of course.
And we marveled as it began to come together. The fun thing was both sides were finished as it was assembled because that's how the Cathedral Window pattern works.
The amount of denim and lace we had ended up being just enough for a nice back-of-the-couch throw.
We left the raw edges of the denim deliberately, just to give it a nice country feel. I haven't washed it yet, but when I do the edges should fringe a bit and fluff up nicely.

We think it turned out beautifully! Mother wants to make another one featuring fabric from some of Daddy's shirts. I can't wait to see how that turns out. Hopefully I can show you when she gets it done.

3 comments:

Cristy said...

Stunningly beautiful.

A Romantic Porch said...

That is SO beautiful!
xo rachel

pse said...

That was a fun project.