Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Joy Dare

Not too long ago I noticed that my friend Denise was sharing a list of blessings on Facebook as part of The Joy Dare. I thought that sounded kinda neat, and I wanted to look into it. About the same time I got an email asking if I would be interested in reviewing One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I had been hearing a lot about the book, and I thought it might be connected with The Joy Dare, so I agreed. My book came a few days ago, and I've started it... but I'm only in Chapter 3, so no review yet. However, I decided to go ahead and start The Joy Dare.

The idea is to make a list of "1000 Gifts" in 2013... a gratitude list. To make it easier, Ann provides a list of prompts to look for 3 gifts each day. Obviously, I'm very late in starting for 2013, but I decided I'd still like to try to do it. So I'm going to start with today's 3 prompts, and then go back to January's list and use the prompts there as well. I don't expect to post every day, so my lists will be longer on some days than others. And I don't know that I'll use all the prompts. I expect I'll just ad lib some of the time. But that's okay, don't you think? I'm looking forward to counting my blessings!

1. A Gift of Rhythm: The rhythmic clicking of the printing press that provides Lyle with work.
2. A Gift of Rhyme: Reading aloud The Llama Who Had No Pajama three times in one evening to the delight of my sweet little nieces last month.
3. A Gift of Reason: "He's the only Reason I live, but oh, what a Reason!"
4. A Gift Heard: Lyle's voice.
5. A Second Gift Heard: The laughter of my children.
6. A Third Gift Heard: Joe's guitar at Bible Study.

More to come...

2 comments:

Denise said...

Well, aren't you just the "Lucky Duck" ~ a FREE copy of "One Thousand Gifts"! Good book, isn't it? I am trying to "digest" it so am going slow and re-reading alot. She's a good yet different style writer, isn't she?...and sorry, I should have read your blog before checking and commenting on your FB status, lol! I will look forward to reading your review!

bp said...

It is a great book and wonderful habit to be in, finding things each day for which you are thankful. We have a book we keep as a family and that has been a good experience for us to do together and to notice our blessings each day.