Thursday, September 12, 2013

Co-op Classes

Our once-a-week homeschool co-op started this week. I think it's going to be a great year!

Each student has the opportunity to take up to 3 classes per 8-week trimester. Becky's classes for this fall are: Science, Guitar, and Home Ec. I'm glad she has the opportunity to do her science labs in a classroom setting... and guitar's not something I could teach her at all. She took guitar last year, too, and really enjoyed it, so is happy to get to continue it. Home Ec is mostly just for fun, but I expect she'll learn a lot in that class, as well. This first week the girls made no-bake cookies. Yum!

Each parent is required to teach at least 2 classes per year. Silly me agreed to teach 2 classes this trimester. I don't know what I was thinking!

Yes, I do. I love teaching, and I'd just as soon teach as assist in a class. So I'm teaching a teen lit class on The Lord of the Rings trilogy (one book per trimester), and I'm also teaching a preschool lit class. I have to admit that having those classes back-to-back was pretty intense this week, but now that I've gotten to know the kids a little I'll know better how to plan for next week.

I have 9 students in my Lord of the Rings class. I had assigned reading to do before the first class, and I was so proud that every single student came to class having done their homework. They are very enthusiastic about this series. Honestly, I agreed to teach this class because several were begging for it after my Hobbit class last year, and not because it's my favorite genre of literature. Not surprisingly, the kids know way more trivial details about Middle Earth than I ever cared to know. However, I think we'll have great class discussions using the Progeny Press study guide to bring in scriptural applications to the story.

My preschool class theme is "Storybook Friends." There are 8 little ones in this class. Some are 3 and some are 4, and the difference between the two ages is very obvious. It's amazing the difference one year makes in attention span at that age. The children are adorable, though, even if they are wiggly. It's been years since I've worked with preschoolers, so I'm really looking forward to it. My storybook theme this week was Curious George. I read Curious George and Curious George Takes a Job to the children. I made little "puppets" for each them by printing out bookmarks and gluing "George" to a popsicle stick. The kids loved banging the popsicle stick on the table while we played "Five Little Monkeys Jumpin' on the Bed." I also found an adorable oversize Curious George coloring book at WalMart that I tore apart and distributed among the children. They had fun coloring and/or scribbling depending on their abilities. Next week's theme will be Winnie-the-Pooh.

The fall trimester runs through the months of September and October, then we'll have a two-month break for November and December before the winter trimester starts up in January. I'm sure it will go by fast.

I'm trying to savor each moment of my last year of homeschooling.

1 comment:

A Romantic Porch said...

Your LAST year of homeschooling... That's just absolutely insane. Impossible!
xo rachel