Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Late Summer Fragments

Lately I've been so busy living and taking care of other business that I haven't taken time to blog.

 And that's too bad, because I really do miss it. It seems the longer I go without blogging the more out-of-the-habit I become, and I think it's time to fix that right now!
It's been a lovely summer... and now that Labor Day has passed and the weather has begun to feel more like fall, I am looking forward to shifting gears and enjoying my very last year of homeschooling. This is year #16 for me. It has gone by so fast.

Becky said the other day, "Mom, I can't believe I'm going to be a senior. Can you?"

No, honey, I really can't.

[sniff]

It's all good, though. It really is.

***

This past Saturday we got to go to Silverwood for the second time this summer. Amusement parks have never been our thing, but since Laura worked there this year we've had the opportunity to go for free. That has been a new adventure for us.
This time we wanted to try out some of the rides we didn't get to when we went earlier. Our first ride of the day was the ferris wheel which is where I took this picture. The ferris wheel is a good ride. I like it.

What I do not like is roller coasters. I had ridden one a few times years ago and never really just loved it, but I was persuaded to try it again. See the big, long one to the left? The high part of it is all the way to the back. It's a really long one. That's the one I was talked into trying. I thought it might be a little bit fun. But it wasn't. At least not for me. 

I squinched my eyes shut and buried my face against the strong, steady shoulder next to me, and I didn't open 'em again until the car came to a complete stop at the end. At one point my backside actually lost contact with the seat of the "car" and I thought I would surely fall out and go crashing to my death. But the seat belt and safety bar... plus that strong, steady hand I was hanging onto for dear life... kept me securely in place. 

Lyle actually loved it, but then you probably figured that out. He's always all about speed. 

"Never-ever again," I told him as we disembarked.

"Never?" he asked in disbelief.

"Nope," I said confidently. "Was not fun."

Laura's with me on that, so she and I visited one of the shops and then sat and people-watched while Lyle and Becky tried another roller coaster.

Anyway, the people-watching is great fun!

***

Other August activities have included:
  • Early morning quiet times on the back deck. I've enjoyed our crop of volunteer sunflowers. We had 3 or 4 plants last year. We didn't plant any this year, but they kinda took over the garden spot anyway. 
  • A camping trip up the river, just the four of us. It was a very laid-back, low-key kind of camping trip, but it was good to get away and catch up as a family.
  • Berry picking. This summer I've picked strawberries, huckleberries, and blueberries. Just wish I knew where to find a blackberry patch. They're my favorite!
  • Riding lessons for Becky. It's been so neat for her to finally get some hands-on experience with a real horse after years and years of being passionately interested in them.
  • Cook-outs in the back yard with family and friends. We enjoy outdoor living during this time of year.
  • Sunday afternoon drives with my sweetheart.
  • Crocheting. I've been re-stocking my Etsy shop for the Christmas shopping season. It will be interesting to see what sells.
  • Lesson planning. Not only for my own homeschool but also for the homeschool co-op we participate in. I'll be teaching two literature classes. I'm looking forward to it.
And so... that brings you up-to-date on what's been going on here. 

Talk to you again soon!

2 comments:

Farrah said...

If I can somehow remember your love for blackberries next year, I'll invite you over to pick a bunch of ours! We had more than we could eat, and the boys got tired of picking 'em!

Rebekah said...

That sounds like a lovely summer! I love people watching too. And sometimes my brain starts to create stories around the people I see. :)