Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Eve Mice

I made these cute little goodies several years ago, and I thought I had posted a picture to my blog at the time. I was telling a friend about them, and I couldn't find that post in the archives. So... I decided to post them again!

They are "Christmas Eve mice"!
My Aunt Lilly shared this idea with us in our family cookbook quite some time ago. They are fiddly to make, but not hard. The base is an open Oreo cookie. The mouse's body is a maraschino cherry dipped in chocolate. Before the chocolate sets, stick the cherry to the bottom of a Hershey's kiss and insert 2 slices of almonds for ears, then set your mouse on the cream filling of the Oreo. The tiny holly garnishes came in a small jar like sprinkles.
"'Twas the night before Christmas
when all through the house,
not a creature was stirring,
not even a mouse..."

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

These are SO CUTE! I want to try these next year for sure! Or well, I guess they don't have to be for Christmas, huh? I'll definitely be trying this. :-)

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Hi Karla,
Those are so cute! I will definitely make those sometime.
Merry CHRISTmas to you & your loved ones!

Blessings,
Sandi

TattingChic said...

Those are adorable. Someone was just telling me the other day about a cute little sugary mouse that sat on a cookie and I wonder if this is what he was describing! Very cute! :)

MuseSwings said...

These are really cute! I've seen a few versions, but not on the oreo cookie with the holly decorations. Plus you get to eat half of all the oreos while you're making them, don't you!

Nicol said...

That is so cute! What a fun idea for Christmas.

Jewelgirl said...

Simply adorable! My kitties would
even like these.... haha!

Coloradolady said...

These are so cute.....next year......time is up around her for any more projects!

e-Mom said...

Absolutely fantastic! With Oreos no less... :~D

Joyce said...

Those little things are so cute! I loved them. I've never seen anything like them.
I think I am out of time for this year but what a great thought for next year possibly.
I love creative stuff like this.

WOW you all sure got yourselves some snow!
We even had snow last week..3 inches in fact!
It was bizarre actually and great fun.....and a balmy 82 yesterday.
It's been a weird year for us..a hurricane in September and snow in December. Odd for Louisiana......
Not the hurricanes...but the snow.
HA!
You all have a BLESSED and MERRY Christmas!
Joyce

Anne said...

Just passing by. Those mice cookies are so adorable. They look to pretty to eat. :-)

Shabby Cottage Collectibles said...

Those mice are darling! I think they would be fun for a childs party. Have a Happy Holiday, Esther

Farrah said...

How cute! These would be fun to make!