Sunday, April 19, 2009

Comfort Food

On Thursday I had a wisdom tooth extracted. Not a fun experience by any stretch of the imagination. In the interest of avoiding a dry socket by any means possible, I have been restricting myself to a soft diet until my mouth heals. (I had a dry socket the last time, and it's definitely not an experience I care to repeat!)

After 3 days of cream soup, applesauce, and instant pudding I wanted something "different." A friend of mine mentioned that one old lady at their church always made a delicious homemade custard whenever anyone was sick. That sounded good to me... even though I've never made custard before... so I decided to try it!
I got out my Fanny Farmer cookbook and decided on the recipe for Baked Custard. "This kindly old dessert still nourishes and comforts. Traditionally served in familiar brown custard cups, it can also be made in one large baking dish."

Not being familiar with the "familiar brown custard cups" (also called "ramekins" in the recipe) I opted for the one large baking dish. It turned out beautifully, I thought! I was surprised at what an easy recipe it was. The option for "Caramel Custard" calls for caramelizing sugar to swirl in the bottom of the custard dish. That sounds really good, and it's something else I've never done, so I may try that next time.

Anyone have suggestions for other soft foods? What's your favorite "comfort food"?

4 comments:

TattingChic said...

Sorry to hear you are having tooth/mouth problems! Glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself! I've heard those dry sockets are awful! :)

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Sorry to hear about the tooth. Not fun at all. But the custard sounds yummy! One of my absolute all-time favorite comfort foods is cream of wheat with plenty of butter and sugar. I always make it when my tummy doesn't feel good. It is absolutely yummy!

pse said...

Hot jello comforted you for something, I don't remember what, when you were younger. Hope you are feeling good real soon.

MuseSwings said...

Smoothies and mashed potatoes and gravy. Mmmm. Sorry about your tooth - I hope it's better VERY soon. Hugs!