Monday, April 13, 2009

Easy Menu Planning

Busy days and economic challenges call for menu planning! I know this, yet it's hard for me to take the time to do it each week. So what I've come up with is a list of our favorite everyday meals and stocked up the pantry to have on hand what we need to make these meals. Then I'm going to post the list of menu options on the fridge. When it's time to figure out "what to have for supper" either my daughter (who does most of the cooking) or I can choose one of the meals from the list... and of course, we can mix and match if we like.

I'm in the process of developing this system, but my plan is to then make up a master grocery list to also post on the fridge and we can check off items that we need to restock. And, of course, any time we want to try new recipes, we can plan for that as well. Hopefully this will help us save both time and money.

Here is my menu list:

Breakfast Ideas
  • yogurt, granola, juice
  • pop tart, banana, milk
  • oatmeal, hot chocolate
  • scrambled egg, toast, milk
  • dry cereal, banana, milk
  • pb&j, milk
Lunch Ideas
  • chicken salad, chips, applesauce
  • mac'n'cheese, chicken nuggets, apple slices
  • grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, celery with peanut butter
  • turkey sandwich, cottage cheese, pineapple slices
  • frozen pizza, carrots and ranch dip
  • chili, corn muffins
  • chicken quesadillas, canned peaches
  • burritos, orange wedges
  • baked potato with cheese, bacon bits, sour cream, broccoli
  • ham sandwich, pasta salad
Supper Ideas
  • grilled hamburgers, baked beans, french fries
  • spaghetti, green beans, garlic bread
  • grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies with cheese sauce
  • biscuits and gravy
  • taco soup, tortilla chips, cheese
  • pizza, salad
  • sloppy joes, raw veggies, tater tots
  • beef stew, crackers and cheese
  • tacos, Spanish rice, chili beans
  • lasagna, green salad
  • chicken supreme, broccoli
  • sausage and rice casserole, corn
  • chicken and veggie stir fry, rice
  • chili, cornbread
  • chef salad
  • pot roast, potatoes, carrots
  • baked pork chops with gravy, rice, roasted cauliflower
What are some of your everyday menus? Maybe I can add to my list!

5 comments:

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

I have been working on meal planning too. I have all of my meals planned for this week and I have what I need for them. I may have to go to the grocery store for milk and salad. But that should be it. It feels great!

Take care my friend!
Hope your week & your meals go well!

Mari said...

Hi, Karla! I enjoyed reading your blog... as usual! I love roasted sweet potatoes but I have never had roasted cauliflower!! I will put that on our menu soon!!

Love Bears All Things said...

I have a Pork Chop casserole that I've been making for years. I'll have to post it sometime soon.

Right now, I'm not cooking everyday with Honey Bear gone so much. I try to plan meals for when he's here. The rest of the time, I eat salads with chicken on them, or diet entrees.

I like what you're doing. I used to do that. Plan two weeks menus at a time and shop. My daughter does it now at her house except she doesn't cook every day either because she works until 9:00 most nights. Its up to her spouse to feed the crew.
Mama Bear

Farrah said...

I just can't do it. I can't have a list of regulars. I get bored of meals very quickly. Wish my body wasn't like that; it would make meal planning so much easier!

Jennifer said...

What a smart idea. When I make menu plans(rarely)we vary from them, so I'll be trying this. Thanks!