Monday, April 6, 2009

My Best Friend

It's been awhile since I've participated in Marriage Monday, but when I saw the topic for this month, I knew I wanted to post! April's topic is "Friendship in Christian Marriage." We are challenged to share "how you and your husband celebrate friendship."

Just this past weekend our family had a conversation about how "Mom and Dad" met and got to know each other. I shared how I wasn't looking for a husband... I was mainly interested in having a special friendship with a "boy" -- a "boy friend." I was 17 and just out of high school when Lyle asked for my address so he could write to me over the summer. We enjoyed a friendly correspondence that summer and found we had common interests, so we started dating that fall at college. We were friends first and foremost. I wasn't in a hurry to get married, so I was caught off-guard less than 6 months later when I realized this was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Out of respect for my parent's wishes that we not marry so young, we were engaged for nearly 2 years. During that time our friendship grew and deepened.

Over the years, my husband has always been my best friend (humanly speaking). I know many women have close girlfriends. I never have. I think it's partly my personality, but also partly because Lyle and I are such good friends. We love to be together. We love to talk. And I believe our marriage is so strong because of it.

Now that the weather is beginning to warm up some we are enjoying our "tradition" of sitting on the porch in the evening just to catch up. Here in north Idaho, the evenings are cool and fresh all through the summer, and we love to sit outside and watch the stars come out. Some evenings we have important issues and decisions to discuss. Other evenings we just enjoy sitting together with nothing much to say. Our children tease us that we're "flirting" but they love the security of knowing that Mom and Dad are important to each other.

Another special time for sharing and talking is on long road trips. Lyle has always loved to drive, and I love to go along for the ride. Our children have grown up loving to travel, and it has become the main family activity that has strengthened our relationship with the kids. Drive time is perfect for deep, meaningful conversations or just light-hearted fun.

I am so grateful for the sweet gift of friendship that I have enjoyed with my husband over the years. It is not something I take for granted. I wish every couple were as blessed as we are.

Let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. --Ephesians 5:33

15 comments:

TattingChic said...

Oh, that is sweet! The world needs more of this! :)

MiPa said...

Love this post! I have struggled at times to have the type of "girl friends" that society tells us that women have. But I have always had the friendship I need in my marriage. Thanks for sharing your story.

Constance said...

Dave and I flirt all the time. I know the kids used to think, "Eww!" but now that they're married, I hear them say how they have learned from our example. I feel sorry for couple who don't have the kinds of marriages that God intends for them. they're missing out on so much! It's a compilation of little things and not just one event that binds our hearts together!

Katey said...

my husband is my BFF too :) not much a girls girl either...

pse said...

The friend I married 44 years ago is still my best friend.

I'm so thankful you chose to honor your parents request to not get married so young. Those two years sure seem shorter now than they did 25 years ago!

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

What a great picture! I know exactly what you mean. I'm so glad my husband is my best friend. I have girl friends. But my husband is my best friend by far. What a blessing!

Have a great week my friend!

e-Mom said...

This was a wonderful post... and a sweet peek into your lasting friendship. We love to take road trips too!

Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today, Karla.

Susan said...

Oh what a great picture of you and your hubby, doing what you enjoy most.

Thanks for sharing about your wonderful friendship and love.

What a testimony to the faithfulness of our God these days when marriage is so under attack!

Blessings to you♥

Emily said...

I love the photo ~ and what an inspiring post! I feel my hubby is my best friend as well. It is so important to have that kind of relationship. Have a glorious day!

Denise said...

That is so special.

Laura said...

Such a great picture, Karla! I love it. Is that more of Laura's handiwork?
A very sweet post; I can fully relate. : )

Andrea said...

What a cute photo of you and hubby! Knowing that your husband is your best friend is wonderful. I, too, hope that every couple can find the sweetness you have.

mary grace said...

I love this post, Karla! My husband is also my best friend, even though I have a very close relationship with my friend Benny as well. Seeing your story in writing made me truly pray for such a sweet love story for my own children!

Greg said...

Everybody, on three: one... two... THREE!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :)

That's almost exactly how Farrah and I started out, except it was HER who asked ME to e-mail her, when I got to Purdue (even though she still refuses to remember). We were so head-over-heels for each other, that her family still talks about how we would be just out reach from each other and whine, "You're too far away!!!"

Speaking of husbands, a friend of a friend's recently lost hers to cancer. Her name is Gigi. From the sounds of it, they were also each other's BFF. Please pray for her.

We all miss seeing you guys. Our coughs are stubbornly going away, and I don't think we're contagious anymore. Baseball season's starting, and we're awaiting Kylen's game and practice schedule.

Farrah said...

Me too! Hubby is my best friend, and I don't do stuff with my "girlfriends." Just visit with them now and then. :-)