Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Times of Refreshing

Earlier this month I planted some annuals (plus a new rosebush) in the backyard one morning. Soon after I got them planted it started raining... but then later that evening the sun came out, and I was able to capture the beauty of the fresh raindrops glistening on the flowers...
The leaves of the plants seemed to perk up, and the colors seemed more vibrant after the rain...It was as if the plants had become so weary of living in a confining pot in the greenhouse and were so relieved to be able to put their roots down and take a long cool draught of refreshing, life-giving water.

This rose was blooming when I bought the bush... but it was drooping so badly that I was sure it was "done". I figured I would just snip it off and wait for the next bud to bloom. I was so amazed at how the rain brought it back to life, and I enjoyed it for several more days after that.
Isn't life that way sometimes? We get so weary of the confinement of our every day routines and the burdens we carry, and then God provides us with a special "rain shower"... a time of refreshing... just when we need it most!

11 comments:

Kristi said...

I love this post...your words of wisdom and your beautiful pictures. Blessings to you!

Laura said...

Oh, so true, Karla. Love the pics too!

pse said...

Oh, how beautiful and true.

lady m's lavender cottage said...

Oh dear Karla, it is so true. May the Lord continue to rain on us...

blessings,

lady m

Beth in NC said...

The pictures ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Keetha said...

Oh that rose!!!! Delectable!!!

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Amen! I'm so glad for those times of refreshing. Your pics are beautiful! I especially love the rose!

Melinda said...

This is such a lovely post! I found your blog through a link at The Simple Woman and really enjoyed visiting with you.

Ronda said...

What beautiful thoughts...the flowers are all lovely, too! :)

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, That is so neat how the rose perked up. I would have thought it was finished also! xorachel

Constance said...

I haven't sang the old hymns in many years but it's funny how they can immediately be recalled! Have a blessed weekend!
Connie

"Showers of blessing
Showers of blessing we need
Mercy drops round us are falling
But for the showers we plead."