Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Simple Days in February

Outside my window... it's pretending to be spring! The sun is shining and I declare I see buds on the trees and bushes! But reality says that spring doesn't come this early. I'm enjoying the sunshine anyway!

I am thinking... of my To-Do lists for the next couple of weeks.

I am thankful for... sunshine and the promise of spring!

From the learning rooms... we're learning about the Civil War on one hand, and the Cold War, the Space Race, and the Civil Rights movement on the other (using Sonlight Cores 4 and 300, which don't exactly go together!), plodding through the first level of the Madsen Method, and reviewing a GED test study book to make sure we have all the bases covered. Yeah, that's what school looks like when you teach 2 children at different levels with different objectives! (I don't recommend this approach for new homeschoolers!)

From the kitchen... I'm learning to grow my own bean sprouts! They add such a nice flavor and crunch to a salad, and they are super-cheap and super-easy to make! I got a pound of the dried mung beans for $1.69, and it only takes a couple tablespoons of the seeds to make a baggy of sprouts. The only equipment required is a wide mouth quart jar and a screen for the lid. I'll have to take pictures and blog about it soon!

I am creating... my third pair of socks for the winter. I love the new 2-at-a-time technique I learned!

I am going... to Loveland, Colorado in 2 weeks for my first homeschool convention of the season!

I am reading... Sons of Thunder by Susan May Warren.

I am hoping... to finish up some projects this week that have been hanging over my head for awhile.

I am hearing... violin music as the girls practice for their classes.

Around the house... are topply stacks of books. I'm sorting through my books and curriculum. Getting ready to sell what I'm through with, and deciding what I'll need for display at my Sonlight booth this season.

A few plans for the rest of the week: the usual homeschooling and office work at home, orchestra classes for the girls Tuesday and Wednesday, Bible study in our home Thursday evening, skiing on Friday-- just our normal schedule for this winter.

This post is part of The Simple Woman's Daybook.

6 comments:

Felicity said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and I really enjoyed it. i think that growing my own sprouts is something I need to learn about and try! I hope you enjoy your week.

Andrea said...

Blessings,
andrea

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

Hi there! Thanks for joining the Blog Hop. I'm following you now. Love your blog. I'll be back later to read more.

Happy Follow Friday!

Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com

ClassyChassy said...

Nice blog - I enjoyed visiting today

Trista's Barn said...

Hey There! Friday Follower here:)
~Trista

Making Memories 1999 said...

Happy February to you! I hope your first HS convention goes well!! Wish you could come to the Midwest Homeschool Convention! ;-) (I know, it's just a few hours away from you.) Have a happy day!