Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter? Where?

Will you forgive me if I gloat--just a bit!--that we are not having the snow and ice that so much of the country has right now? After all, we had more than our share last year and the year before
In fact, this past Saturday just felt like spring! The sun was shining in our neighborhood and the temps got up close to 50. In the sun, it felt even warmer. If you squint real hard you can probably see just a little snow on the mountains in the distance. But not much! If you squint even harder, you might can imagine that the grass is beginning to turn green! Okay... maybe not.
I made the rounds in the yard checking for buds. I'm sure it won't be long before the rhododendron bush, the little azalea bush, and the lilacs will be blooming!
In the meantime, I'm enjoying my seasonally-challenged Christmas Cactus who usually blooms around Valentines... or Easter... or maybe even Thanksgiving... but never Christmas! (I have a theory that it has to do with hours of daylight, and the days are just too short this far north around Christmas-time.)
Spring is coming!

6 comments:

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Yay!!!! I am ready for spring. I can't believe we had snow this weekend and your in the 50s. What a weird winter we're having!

Lynn said...

I've been hearing about your lack of 'winter' there since my brother and family live where you do.. Unfortunately that is NOT the case here in MT. We had a big snow storm in the middle of Jan.. the snow is STILL here and it's now snowing AGAIN right now.. I am looking forward to Spring here for sure... Enjoy the warm Spring like weather.. If you ever feel like it.. blow some of the to the East so we can enjoy some too :)

Arby said...

I am still enjoying winter. It will not be safe to plant anything outdoors until the 15th of April. We'll have plenty of time to be warm this spring and summer.

The Watts Family said...

Wonderful enjoy the sunshine!! ~Blessings Love Heather :)

Nancy M. said...

That's awesome that y'all had great weather this past weekend! I can't wait for spring!

Carrie said...

Oh-hhh, my heart leaps up just thinking of the delights of spring...my overgrown rhododendrons were pulled up last June and two smaller one planted. I hope they will still give me one of those fabulous blooms this year.