Sunday, October 10, 2010

Betsy and Joe

I mentioned last week that I was participating in the Maud Hart Lovelace Reading Challenge at A Library is a Hospital for the Mind. This week the challenge is to answer the following questions:

a. Why you joined the MHLRC.
I've always loved the Betsy-Tacy stories and I just thought it would be fun!

b. Which book you are currently reading for the challenge.
I've read the first 5 chapters of Betsy and Joe to my daughters (ages 15 and 17) this week. I read the first chapter just as sort of a teaser, but they won't "let" me quit. Since my older daughter is patiently sitting through such tomes as Carson's Basic American Government and Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, it's a treat for all of us to join in the the fun of a young lady's senior year 101 years ago!

c. Something new you have learned either from participating in this challenge or from a MHL book you have read.
I learned that Maud Hart Lovelace based the Betsy-Tacy stories on her own life experiences. I would love to write like that someday.

d. Which book in the Deep Valley series you hope to win and why.
I'd love to win the 2-book bind-up of Carney's House Party and Winona's Pony Cart because my friend Melissa Wiley wrote the forward to it. Also, because I think my girls would enjoy reading Carney's House Party when we finish Betsy and Joe.

1 comment:

H J Hess said...

More than 40 years later, I still remember Joe standing up for Betsy in English class when the teacher ridicules her for "rosy apple blossoms" in her essay. Joe was, and still is, a hero in my eyes.
Around that time, an older girl who mentored me after school gave me her beloved copy of "Betsy's Wedding". I still prize those memories. MHL was, and still is, a lovely writer.
Thanks for blogging about the MHL challenge.
Enjoy!
.