Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Crochet Challenge

Back in the summer I went in for my not-so-annual checkup. When the doctor came into the exam room she started going through her normal routine of listening to my heart beat, making me say "ahhh," and asking general health-related questions. Then out of the blue she said, "Do you crochet?"

I thought that was a funny question! Of course, I do... but what did that have to do with my health? So I hesitantly said, "Yes. Why do you ask?"

She said, "Oh! I noticed that..." and she pointed to the slipcover I had made for my netbook which was sticking out of my tote bag, "...and wondered if you made it." I told her I did. Then she explained that she had an afghan that she had started 20 years ago, that she knew she would never finish, and was wishing she had someone to give it to, who would want to finish it.

I told her that I usually crocheted at least a little every day, and that I would be happy to have it. (I have to have something in my hands when I'm watching TV with Lyle. It's usually crocheting, though sometimes it's knitting or quilting or word puzzles.)

I didn't think too much more about it, but I had a follow-up visit to the doctor a few weeks later. This time when she came into the exam room she was carrying a plastic tub of crocheted squares and a bag full of yarn!
I immediately recognized the pattern as one I had made... probably 20 years ago! ...for my sister-in-law, in the colors shown on the pattern book. My doctor had worked about half the squares when she was laid up with ankle surgery, she said.
It was an interesting pattern, because each block is a different stitch. I enjoyed the challenge of finishing the crocheting and then putting the blocks together for a finished blanket. My gauge was not the same as the parts crocheted by the doctor, but by the time I got it all sewed together, I thought it looked pretty good. The colors are not what I would have chosen, but it's a good, warm blanket!

7 comments:

Briana said...

No Way! I started that same afghan years ago. I ended up taking it apart and never finishing it. Great job!

Dori said...

so did you give it back to the doctor after you finished it?

pse said...

Dori, that was my question?

A Romantic Porch said...

Wow! My question is how in the world do you have time to get all that stuff done?

Heidi said...

Very pretty and the colors are rather soothing! What a neat story.

Lisa said...

That's a neat pattern.

A Joyful Chaos said...

I admire anyone who can crochet. I would love to learn someday but so far all my efforts have only resulted in a tangled ball of yarn.