Tuesday, March 26, 2002

Letter Writing

I used to love to write letters. No, I don't mean dash off an e-mail. I mean actually sit down with a pen and a sheet of stationery, an envelope and a stamp! With the advent of cheap long-distance and e-mail, I've gotten out of the habit. I looked forward to getting replies to my letters, usually at least 2 weeks later. The thing I love about email is how instantaneous it is. You hit "Send", the person gets the letter almost immediately (if they're at the computer) and can reply within a matter of minutes. That is fun! Still, there's something about receiving a hand-penned letter in the mail that I miss. As expensive as greeting cards are getting, I think it would be a good idea to take the time to actually write a letter (on nice stationery perhaps) instead. I haven't yet started doing that, but I might. Wouldn't you rather receive a nice chatty letter than a pre-printed greeting card with just a name signed to it? I would!

Here's a good article on The Art of Letter Writing that got me to thinking about this.

No comments: