My friend, "Mary Grace", at Books and Bairns posted this quiz a few days ago, in honor of back-to-school time. I thought it was fun, so I decided to post my answers, too. I do notice, however, that my answers are a good bit different than hers! (Yes, I was sometimes referred to as a "goody-two-shoes" or "teacher's pet"... and while that was kinda embarrassing, I'm not really ashamed of it.)
A quiz answering the burning questions you truly want to know about my high school years!
1. Who was your best friend? Julie. She was a devout Catholic. I was an evangelical preacher's kid. Which was kind of a funny combination. But we had a lot in common... and still exchange letters at Christmas time every year... 20-some*cough*-years later.
2. Did you play any sports? Not me! People would encourage me to go out for basketball (because I'm so tall)... but only until they saw me try to shoot a basket! I even hated PE!
3. What kind of car did you drive? My parents' full-size van. The other kids called it my "paddy wagon" but most kids didn't have the privilege of driving to school, so it was actually kind of a status symbol. I don't remember that any kids in my school had very cool cars. Most drove old junkers or their parents' cars and were envied just because they got to drive rather than take the bus! (I had a job that I drove to after school my senior year.)
4. It’s Friday night. Where were you? At home probably... or somewhere with my family. I didn't date in high school... didn't have much of a social life at all, outside church.
5. Were you a party animal? Nope. See answer to question 4.
6. Were you considered a flirt? Ha. Nope.
7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? Choir. All the cool kids were. We had a great choir!
8. Were you a nerd? Yeah, probably. Although I didn't think of myself that way. Maybe borderline?
9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? Of course not! I was the teachers' pet, remember?
10. Can you sing the fight song? Not any more. I could then.
11. Who was your favorite teacher? Probably Mrs. A who "let" me read Shakespeare (and other English Lit assignments) aloud to the class so they wouldn't have to read it to themselves for homework! One day, early in the year, the other kids talked me into reading the assignment to them while Mrs. A was out of the room. She came back and everyone was goofing off. She asked if they had done their assigned reading. Yep! Everyone said they had. She couldn't figure out how that could possibly be, until they told her that I read it aloud. She was okay with that, so that's the way we did it the rest of the year! I love to read aloud!
12. What was your school mascot? We were the Commodores.
13. Did you go to the Prom? Nope. Dancing is "against my religion".
14. If you could go back, would you? Well... not now! But I did graduate a year early, and I've often wondered what I missed by skipping that last year.
15. What do you remember most about graduation? Feeling terribly grown up!
16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? I don't think they had that at my school. Or if they did, I didn't know about it. Which is entirely possible.
17. Did you have a job your senior year? Yes, I worked at the Girl Scout Council office doing clerical work... filing, making copies, that kind of thing.
18. Where did you go most often for lunch? The school cafeteria. Our school was out in the country, so there were no other options. We had two choices: the tray lunch or a chef salad. I almost always chose the chef salad.
19. Have you gained weight since then? Umm... no comment.
20. What did you do after graduation? Went on vacation with my family to Louisiana. (We lived in Ohio.)
21. What year did you graduate? 1983, but my real class graduated in 1984
22. Who was your Senior Prom Date? Didn't go. See question 13.
23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion? No. It was too far. I did talk to Julie (see question 1) soon after it. She said that most of the kids in our class were already divorced. Only one other girl had been married longer than me. (I was almost 20 when I got married. This other girl got married while still in high school.) I haven't heard whether they had a 20-year reunion.