Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Edition #9

My daughters and I spent several hours Wednesday in the kitchen, preparing all sorts of good things to eat. We aren't having company, nor are we going anywhere--so it will be just our family, but we prepared a nice meal and will set the table pretty and enjoy the day! As I made yet another run to the grocery store I thought about how much "trouble" it was to prepare Thanksgiving dinner... and then I remembered that it's really not much trouble at all these days. So for my Thanksgiving Thursday Thirteen, here are...

13 Things I Didn't Do For Thanksgiving Dinner
  1. I did not milk a cow to have whipped cream, sour cream, butter, cream cheese, shredded cheese. I only went to the store and put the packaged products in my cart and brought them home!
  2. I did not churn the butter or make the cheese mentioned in #1.
  3. I did not raise the turkey and butcher it and dress it. I bought it frozen, let it thaw, then popped it in a baking bag and into the oven.
  4. I did not plant and hoe and dig potatoes. I bought a 10-pound bag, washed 'em, peeled 'em, washed 'em again, cut 'em up, cooked 'em, mashed 'em, and mixed in the goodies we like. Easy compared to hoeing and digging!
  5. I did not grow a pumpkin in my garden, then have to cut it up and cook it to prepare it for making a pie. I have done that before, but not this time. I bought a can of pumpkin and mixed it with spices and milk and eggs to dump into the pie crust.
  6. I did not raise and can the green beans. My parents did that! And we do appreciate having home-grown green beans. Otherwise, yep, I would have bought those, too.
  7. I did not raise out-of-season vegetables in a greenhouse. Bought those, too, fresh from the produce department of the local grocery store!
  8. I did not pick the apples I peeled and cut up for a pie.
  9. I did not grow and mill the wheat for the flour in the rolls and pie crusts.
  10. I did not make pudding from scratch for the chocolate pie that my husband loves. He likes instant pudding/pie filling just as well, so that's what I used.
  11. I did not chop wood or have to keep a fire going in a wood cookstove to get the cooking done.
  12. I did not weave the tablecloth nor spin the fibers it is woven from.
  13. I did not forget to thank the Lord for all these and many other blessings!

4 comments:

Vader's Mom said...

That was a fun list. I wouldn't have thought to do that take on it!

Great job and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

One other thing... You did not have all your old friends for dinner! But that's ok!! We had a great time ourselves and enjoyed your list of "did-nots". Here's a big howdy from Allen & Canda (Ferguson) Patterson, hoping you have a great Thanksgiving with you and yours.

Denise said...

A hearty "Amen" - I think I'd be too tired to enjoy the feast if Ihad to do all that!
Denise

Making Memories 1999 said...

One good reason to be living in modern times!! :-) Hope your Thanksgiving was a blessed one!!