Saturday, June 6, 2009

Tatting Treasures

What would you expect to find in a fruit cake tin at a garage sale?

It could be just about anything, really! But my heart nearly skipped a beat when I saw the label tucked up under the lid: Supplies for Tatting -- 4.00
I carefully opened it up to see exactly what "supplies" might be included...
Oh! Look at the dainty little flower samples all fastened to this card...
Then I lifted the card and found a whole nest of deliciously colored tatting thread, along with 4 regular shuttles and a spare bobbin!
The eyeglass case held 3 punch embroidery needles and 2 threaders. (I don't know what they have to do with tatting... but there they are!) And the lady threw in a magazine that had an article on tatting. What a deal!

I'm still learning to tat. I'm determined to create something pretty with a tatting shuttle before the year is over.

This was just the extra inspiration I needed to keep practicing!

14 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I don't tat and I still think this was a mega cool find!!!

Meghann said...

That seems as though it was put together for you! I wonder how old it was. I love little collections of great finds! Small treasures! What was on that card that was in there? Is that how they make the flowers? Do you have to cut them out then?

Do share your work!

Meg

Dori said...

Why don't I ever find those deal at a yard sale? maybe because I don't go?

Kalianne@theBowerbird'sNest said...

What a find! I just love garage sales! Enjoy learning tatting, it's fun to learn something new!
~Kalianne

Kristi said...

Oh, my goodness, what a wonderful find! I can't wait to see your creations.

TattingChic said...

Karla! OMGoodness!!! That is super fabulous that you ran into such a find! I think it's delightful that a bunch of tatting goodies fell into such wonderful hands!!!

AWESOME!!!

Congrats on a fabulous find!

Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my blog inviting me over here! I also had gotten this link on my "Google Alerts" for tatting! Cool, aye?

Jane Eborall said...

Well that's inspired me to go to garage sales again when I'm next in the USA!!! What a find. Fate says you MUST learn to tat now!!!

pse said...

WOW! That makes your new hobby even more enjoyable. The girls can even learn with you. Have fun.

Janeen said...

Wow, you hit the jackpot, look at all that eye candy and all of it for $4.00, what a bargain! I haven't been by your blog in awhile so I am catching up with all my reading today. Have a great Sunday!

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, Wow! That is wonderful! xo rachel

Karen (KayKay) said...

What a fun find. I don't even tat and I love it.

mary grace said...

How fun! My grandmother tried to teach me to tat years ago. Wish I had listened now, of course.

***Jon**** said...

Oh my goodness. I would love to have something like this come my way. You are so lucky.

nikkit3 said...

You have a lovely blog! I really enjoyed reading thru some of it today:)