Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Edition #4


It's Thursday... time for another list of "13 things..." If you've never played, check out www.ThursdayThirteen.com. Each Thursday you make up a list with 13 things, whatever you want to tell. This is my fourth week to participate. And this week I am going to share...

13 Paying Jobs I've Had
(Where I actually earned money... I do a lot of things that earn intangible benefits!)
  1. In high school I worked as an office clerk in the local Girl Scout council office. I did exciting, fulfilling things like filing and making copies. ;-)
  2. The summer after my first year of college I worked as a nurse's aide at a nursing home. That quickly shattered my illusions about the glamorous life I would lead if I went on to become a nurse. Since then I have had no desire whatsoever to work in the medical field... which is kinda funny since one of my sisters has been a nurse for 20+ years and my other sister is currently in nursing school.
  3. Just before I got married I worked at a deli, making and serving sandwiches and dipping ice cream. That was a fun job!
  4. I have also worked as a receptionist at my brother-in-law's print shop...
  5. ...as a sales clerk in a gift shop...
  6. ...as a bank teller...
  7. ...as a bank receptionist...
  8. ...as a bookkeeper at a bank...
  9. ...as a sales clerk at a Goodwill store...
  10. ...as a child-care provider (before and right after my oldest child was born)...
  11. When my children were very small I had an evening job working as assistant children's librarian at the public library. I worked from 5:00 till 9:00 in the evening, which worked out well as my husband could be home with the children while I worked. I think this was my favorite of all the jobs I've ever had.
  12. Since 2000 I have been a Sonlight Curriculum Consultant. I have a booth for Sonlight Curriculum at various homeschool conventions throughout the northwest each spring and summer.
  13. I also currently work for Sonlight Curriculum as a Curriculum Advisor, answering phone calls and emails that the company receives regarding how to use the curriculum.

7 comments:

jenn said...

You've done a little of everything!
Happy TT!

Samantha_K said...

I'm envious of the librarian job! I would love that. I work at/manage a store that sells teaching supplies, gifts and games, as well as homeschool curriculum. Our biggest sellers are LifePacs, Horizons math, and Shurley English...We don't have SonLight, but I will click the link and check it out.

Christine said...

I would love to work as a librarian! Just being around so many books every day would make me happy :)

Happy TT!

Vader's Mom said...

Great list. I would love to work at the Library.

Denise said...

Wow, Karla, you're awful young to have held so many jobs! I can see how the librarian job would be your favorite. So do you homeschool your children with Sonlight? I was thinking of switching my youngest, 8 year old Benji, to Sonlight. We have always used A Beka. How many kids do you have, by the way, and how old are they?
Denise

Wakela Runen said...

You certainly have tried many different fields. My entire family has worked in the medical field for as long as I know. I am now going on my 20th year in the medical field. I am getting burned out and am looking around for something else. I guess not having done anything else, I am sort of nervous about it.

Nicholas said...

You've done a lot!