Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thursday Thirteen - Edition #3


Recently I was working on a scrapbook from my childhood. I made a page showing where we lived each year. We moved around a lot growing up. While going through my mother's notes I realized that I had lived in 5 places in 3 states by my first birthday! Thankfully, the rest of my life wasn't quite that hectic... but it seems like it took a few years for my parents to get settled. So for this week's Thursday Thirteen I thought I would list the 13 states I have lived in:
  1. Oklahoma. Okay, so my list of states-I've-lived-in actually "only" numbers 12... but since life begins at conception I guess I should count this one, as my parents lived there for a few months just before I was born! Mother grew up in Oklahoma.
  2. Louisiana. The state I was born in, lived there off-and-on for probably 2 years when I was very small, and then again for 4 years during late elementary and junior high school. My dad's parents live(d) there. My sisters (twins) were also born in Louisiana.
  3. Arkansas. Off-and-on some when I was very small, then again for 2 years when I first started school. This is where my mother's parents lived all my life. My "accent" seems to be a blend of Louisiana and Arkansas, with probably some of my mother's "Okie twang" thrown in.
  4. Iowa. For just a few months during my first year while Dad had some temporary work. This is the only state (besides Oklahoma, obviously) that I don't remember living in.
  5. Indiana. For a year or so during my preschool years. One of my brothers was born in Indiana. (I also later lived in Indiana for 1 year of Bible college.) From there we moved to...
  6. Michigan. For two years when I was 4 and 5. My youngest brother was born there. Then to...
  7. Tennessee. For 6 months just before I started school. Then back to Arkansas for 1st and 2nd grade, and to...
  8. Texas. For two years - 3rd and 4th grade. Then back to Louisiana for 5th - 8th grades...
  9. Ohio. For three years, in which I completed high school. Then to Indiana for Bible college and from there to...
  10. Missouri. My parents had moved again while I was at college and I lived at home for a year before I got married, when I moved to...
  11. Kansas. We lived there for the first few years we were married, with a 15-month "detour" to...
  12. California. Where my husband grew up. Then back to Kansas, and from there, in 1998 to...
  13. Idaho. Which is where we live now! As I was compiling this list I realized that I have now lived in Idaho for longer than I have continuously lived in any other state! I must be getting old!

4 comments:

Bloggers said...

Great post. I have lived in every state but alaska, hawaii, florida, and washington.

MY hubby used to have a job where we traveled every six months! yuck.

my 13 is up on
Working at Home Mom

The Rock Chick said...

Great post! I have lived in the Chicago area my entire life...actually all of my homes have been within 5 miles of each other. I often wonder how different life is in different areas of the country.

Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick

Sniz said...

Eight years in one place! Good for you! I love to scrapbook too. How cool that you have your mother's notes to guide how you put your pictures!

Dori said...

I figured up one time that I had lived in 25 different places (not necessarily different states) by the time I was 25...I can add 9 houses to that by now. ICK!