Sunday, November 29, 2009

Laid-Back Holidays

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of "the holidays"... or maybe it's the stress that comes from trying to meet expectations for "the holidays." I try not to be a total Scrooge, but I also do whatever I can to keep things simple and relaxed.

We hosted Thanksgiving dinner this year. Our home is quite comfortable for a family of four, but it takes some creative planning to accommodate 12. Table space is limited, so we served dinner buffet-style. We also went with "paper-ware" for the table settings. It wasn't elegant, but it was festive! And clean-up was a breeze. Good food, fellowship, and grateful hearts. That's what matters anyway, isn't it?
On Friday, Lyle and the kids put up lights on the outside of the house. I suggested to the kids that they could put up the Christmas tree if they wanted to, as well.
"Seems a little early yet, don't you think, Mom?"

Yes! I do think so! I have found I enjoy the tree a lot more when it's up for a shorter length of time... maybe 2 weeks. But I was surprised that they thought so. So we'll wait.

In the meantime, as early as it gets dark these days, I do enjoying seeing the outside of our house lit up when we come home in the evenings.
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

10 comments:

Speaking from the Heart said...

The lights around your house looks awesome. Thank you for visiting.

Keetha Broyles said...

I'm WITH you on keeping it simple!!! I love your napkins, BTW. We also serve buffet style, but since I have a dishwasher, we did use real plates. I THOUGHT about disposable - - - but with the dishwasher, real is also easy.

I don't TRY to set enough table spaces, most of the 2nd and 3rd generation want to "camp" out in front of the football game anyway - - - works for us.

But, even with keeping it THIS simple, I was one exhausted puppy by the time they all headed home in the early evening!!!!

I haven't started decorating for Christmas yet either - - - except I put up 5 wreaths outside this afternoon!

Mari said...

Your lights look so pretty! Our tree is up too. We usually put it up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas.

Jennifer said...

We are doing our tree a little later this year, too. Last year we got a beautiful real tree the day after Thanksgiving, and by Christmas it was very dry even with watering.

Mrs. White said...

Beautiful home! So nice to "visit"!

Nancy M. said...

I like it simple too! Glad you had a good time! The lights look nice!

Arby said...

First of all, your holiday planning looked good to me!

Secondly, around here the lights go up on a warm day right after Thanksgiving or they do not go up at all. I do not hang lights in the cold. On the first warm day after Christmas they come down, even if that is 12/26, because I do not take lights down in the cold. See a pattern here? Bah, humbug!

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Love the lights! I agree simple is better. It makes for a lot less stress. Hope you have a great holiday season my friend!

Donetta said...

Hello Welcome to A Life Uncommon Blog. Thank you for the visit. It looks like the rest that was gained you on the ease of preparation and service really made the day.
Hows that for a run on and on sentence :)
The lights are pretty and I am so in agreement to ease the stress. Why? Why remove the peace that is so oft now replaced with the stress and discontent of expectations. It really makes no sense. I am with you on that one.
Visit my other blogs that can be found on my side bar. You may find we have a few things in common.

Constance said...

The house looks warm and inviting! Our halls have been decked nd now we are ready for Christmas! We leave on Dec 17th for our Christmas in Yellowstone vacation so I had to do it all up earlier than usual. That and our oldest daughter and family came to town for T-giving and I wanted the house all ready for the grandkids to see!

I LOVE paper goods for a group! No guilt whatsoever!

Connie