Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Decorating


I didn't decorate for Christmas this year.

Don't get me wrong-- I enjoy looking at Christmas decorations. I just find it an awful lot of bother, at this stage of my life, to haul all the boxes in out of the garage and spend several hours sorting and assembling, just to have to take it all down and pack it all away a month later. I know some people just love to decorate for Christmas. I can understand that. I used to be one of them. But by now, I'm just tired of it.

Still... our house is beautifully decorated this year. It seems we have Christmas Elves who took over the job. My friend, Laura, expressed my exact feelings-- and exactly what happened at our house-- in a recent blog post regarding their decorations:
"It's so much fun to have teenagers! When our girls were little, I was all into decorating for Christmas... had to create all those wonderful memories, set the atmosphere, make a cozy Christmas haven! After a few years, I got tired of hauling everything down from the attic, but just as I was getting weary of the process, my teens decided they were all into the lovely holiday custom, and so now they do most of the work !!!" --from Glimpses of Our World
Our girls put up and decorated the Christmas tree this year without any help at all. When they were finished they turned down the lights and asked us to come see. I love it!

Their dad isn't quite as much of a Scrooge as I am, so he worked with them to put up the outside lights as well. I showed you what it looked like Thanksgiving weekend. This picture was taken after the girls had put up the tree, and added the color-changing snowflakes along the front sidewalk.


Visit The Nester to go on the Christmas Tour of  Homes to see lots of beautiful holiday home decor.

15 comments:

Alyce said...

The decorations look fabulous! How lucky you are to have some help. :) I'm still waiting for the day that we decide to get our acts together and put lights on the outside of our house. (Twelve years of marriage and still no lights. Maybe if we move into a one story house someday.)

Happy Nester said...

Your home looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing & Happy Holidays!

The Watts Family said...

Looks Wonderful everyone did a beautiful job~Please tell your Christmas elves we love how it looks ~Blessings Heather

Heather said...

Your home looks beautifuL! Great job! Merry Christmas!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Everything looks beautiful. How sweet for you kids to put up the tree for you.

Reynie said...

Fun for the girls though! They did a good job!

pse said...

I wish they were here to do mine.

Nancy M. said...

My son decorated our tree too! I'm kinda like you worn out from the whole process!

Your tree is beautiful!

Dawn said...

My teenagers took over the house decorating two years ago, and I was happy to let them! I'm with you on the hassle of dragging it all out, putting it all back... ugh! I do love the way it turns out though. :) Our tree is going up in a couple of days and our house will be done then.

Dori said...

I am so with you! I dreaded putting up stuff this year. And, actually did very little. We put up the tree but I let the kids hang the ornaments on it. It's got lots of bare spots but, it's done!

Kay said...

How blessed you are to have girls who'll take over the decorations like that! Mine don't help at all. And I have had a hard time getting in the decorating mode too. I did it, but it wasn't on my list of favorite things to do. So glad you have a pretty tree to look at and a sweet family to share it with!

Arby said...

It looks great!

Kellie said...

I'm one that loves decorating...the inside. I have no clue about lights and such on the outside. This year, because we're traveling for Christmas, my husband decided not to do lights outside, and the kids had a fit. So he let them do them. It is interesting to say the least. Yours look great!

~Kellie
The Pirate Mom

Shawntele said...

Your home looks beautiful, Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Cha Cha said...

Your home is lovely. GOD BLESS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS.