Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fun Comments

Here's my absolute favorite thing about blogging: the neat people you "meet!" On Friday, I just dashed off some quick answers to the questions Mama M @ My Little Life had posted for Five Question Friday. I had two people comment on that post (which isn't a lot, but at least I know someone is reading my ramblin's!)... and they were both so interesting. I love that, don't you?

First, I heard from Shelby @ Sweet view from the Hills. She said, "Wow...stopped by from 5QF and you were right after me. I can't believe you have an RV on your header! We travel and HS for my hubby's job. Small world! I love to see other RV'ers (if if it isn't full time!) And...just noticed that you are Sonlighters!!! So cool! We are too!" 

My family and I think it would be a lot of fun to be fulltime RVers, but somehow it doesn't seem to fit in with Lyle's job. However, as a curriculum consultant for Sonlight I do have the opportunity to travel to various homeschool conventions each spring. Our travel-trailer sure comes in handy then! The whole family usually goes with me to assist in driving, loading/unloading, and setting up/tearing down the booth, and we enjoy our evenings as a family hanging out in our trailer. When convention season is over (the end of June this year) we enjoy going camping in the nearby National Forests as often as we can on the weekend.

I love to read about other families who have the opportunity to be on the road for extended periods of time, so I look forward to following Shelby's blog. I'm glad she "found" me!

Another comment on Friday's post was from SAHMinIL @ Catholic Christian Homeschooling who said, "I remember those McD playgrounds. Our McD had one too. I remember Officer Big Mac-(it was a climb in jail). Although with ours you could not climb up to his hat. I also remember Grimace. (The big purple-hairy-thing).

The Grimace on the playground was basically a huge cage thing. It had 2 openings, door ways (on on each side of Grimace). We would climb in and hold on to the metal bars that made his torso and just shake and rock the whole thing.

However as the years went on Grimace no longer "shakable" the way he was before. I don't think it was because he was broken, I think they had to modify him so that he didn't shake like we did.

We also had a slide, but I want to say it featured Birdie the early bird and not the Hamburglar and Captain Crook. hmm? Then again this was the 80's so who knows."


I followed the links she provided, and yes! Officer Big Mac was exactly the climb-in hamburger I remembered! Maybe my siblings can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember being able to climb on up into his hat and peek out and wave at Mom and Dad. I don't think we had a Grimace, shakable or not, or a slide. In fact, Officer Big Mac and the bouncy thingys are still the only things I remember. This would have been about 1975 so I may not remember correctly, or maybe they just hadn't come up with all the different things yet.

1 comment:

Farrah said...

I rarely leave comments now that I'm no longer blogging, but I do make the rounds occasionally! :-)