Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Homemade Pop

My family has been enjoying experimenting with making our own pop for the past few days. On Friday we received the SodaStream outfit I won at Reviews and Reflections. Just as Heidi said, it is super easy to use, and comes with a wide variety of flavors that we are working our way through.

Our first batch didn't turn out to be fizzy enough because we misunderstood the directions. It says to push the button several times until it buzzes, and that 3 buzzes is a normal carbonation level. We thought that meant to push the button 3 times. On the next batch we figured out how to do it "right" and were very impressed with the results! More than we expected to be, actually.

I like that the flavor syrups do not contain high fructose corn syrup or aspartame. The diet flavors are sweetened with Splenda (which is still not great, in my opionion), and then I noticed even the regular flavors have Splenda as an ingredient as well as sugar. I'm not sure why, except that it makes them lower calorie.

We want to experiment with making our own flavoring syrups. We also tried carbonating regular apple juice to make sparkling apple juice. That worked great! I know we're really going to enjoy this new gadget! Thanks again, Heidi!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

How fun! I've seen the kits in stores but I didn't know if they worked or not. thanks for posting this today!

Lisa said...

That sounds neat.
The sparkling juice idea is a good one. If it's fizzy, my kids are satisified it's a soda. :)

pse said...

I'm eager to have some!

tonia said...

cool! i can think of some kids who would love to try that! we pretty much avoid regular soda because of all the nasties...but i love a good fizzy drink!

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

pops is one of the must haves now that the weather is getting hotter..

Heidi said...

I'm glad you're having fun with it, Karla. It took us awhile to get the whole fizzing concept down pat too. Our first several batches were not fizzy enough.
You can actually carbonate water and mix it with fruit juice. Most fruit juices are too strong anyway, so a bit of watering down won't hurt and it doesn't take away the taste.