Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ski Report - Week 2

No, I haven't miscounted. It has been 2 weeks since "Ski Report - Week 1" but skiing was cancelled for January 22, so our second week was actually this past Friday.
Would you like to guess why skiing was cancelled?

The gondola broke down!!

Can you believe it? After we were so concerned about the possibility of the gondola being stopped because of the wind, with people still on the mountain! Well, it wasn't because of the wind... and no, it didn't crash or wreck or anything catastrophic like that. Apparently it was a bearing or something that just needed to be replaced. They must have had to build a part for it because it was down a full week, I think. I heard there were still people on the mountain when it stopped and they had to shuttle them down on the old road. I bet that was interesting! Nobody was on the gondola itself. I really don't want to think about what their contingency plan is in a situation like that.
It was a much better day for skiing than it had been two weeks ago. There was no wind this time, so that made for a more enjoyable gondola ride, as well as just being out in it for skiing. I'm not sure what the temp was on the mountain but I believe it was above freezing because the eaves on the building were dripping.
 
The kids got so warm that they took their heavy coats off! Seemed a little strange to be snow skiing in just a regular hoody, but they claimed they were hot! They did keep hats and gloves on, though, so I guess they were warm enough.

With such warm temperatures and little snowfall, we're beginning to wonder if we'll get our full 8 weeks in before the snow is gone. I guess we'll see!

4 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Oh I hope you get some more sking in I am so clumsy I can't imagine down hill sking and the last time I tried cross country I almost went right into a lake hehe. And the Gondola broke down well glad you weren't on it then! They seem so scarey to me but then I am afraid of butterflies so I would not be the best judge of that lol! ~Blessings Heather

Arby said...

Looks like fun!

Alicia, The Snowflake said...

Looks like the girls are having a great time! Living in the South, I've never been skiing. Maybe I can live vicariously through you guys ;)

Greg said...

Ahh... Spring skiing in January! Can't beat it! I don't know if we'll make it out this season. My brother-in-law will have to really push us to. :)