Monday, January 11, 2010

Simple Days in January


Outside my window...it's getting light and it's cold, but still not a lot of snow.

I am thinking...of a variety of things I'd like to blog about soon.

I am thankful for...cozy throws, bright candles, fuzzy socks, and hot beverages on these chilly winter days.

I am wearing...denim skirt, navy corduroy shirt over white shirt

I am remembering...how apprehensive the girls were at their first ski lesson last year, and how much they ended up liking it.

I am going...to take the girls to their first ski outing for the season on Friday. We have an opportunity to go with our homeschool group again this year, so we have signed up for the 8-week class. The girls are really excited!

I am currently reading...Becoming Lucy by Martha Rogers and Dug Down Deep by Joshua Harris. Also, listening to the audio book of Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy as this month's read for the Kindred Spirit's book group.

I am hoping...to soon finish the second sock of the pair I'm knitting. I can't wait to see what they look like with some casual MaryJane shoes I ordered from Lands' End. I think that will be a cute look with the denim skirts I like to wear.

On my mind...getting started with the Madsen Method language arts curriculum that I am going to be using with my younger daughter (and reviewing) for the next 6-9 months. I've been told I will see miraculous progress. That would be nice!

Noticing that...the daylight hours are getting longer! Yay!

Pondering these words... "On a day which had a summer face and a winter constitution-a fine January morning, when there was just enough blue sky visible to make cheerfully-disposed people wish for more, and an occasional gleam of silvery sunshine..." Thomas Hardy, Far From the Madding Crowd

From the kitchen...I made a big batch of beef stock this past weekend from my new cookbook: Nourishing Traditions. I am trying to do more "from scratch" cooking. See my post about it on The Persnickety Pantry.

Around the house...I need to clean up my office, but I'll be surprised if I get to that job this week.

One of my favorite things...reading aloud to my family.

Visit The Simple Woman's Daybook.

2 comments:

pse said...

Interesting list. Beautiful picture!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

good luck with all you set out to achieve this week. Hope the ski outing is fun.
Molly