Thursday, January 21, 2010

Vintage Walking Doll


Here's another sweet "treasure" that I brought home from my parent's house at Christmas. I'm not even sure why she was there. I thought she was packed away somewhere at my house.

This is Matil (pronounced like Matilda without the "duh")! She's a "walkin' doll" that I received for Christmas when I was 3 years old. She has a battery compartment in her back and a little switch at the back of her neck that used to make her walk.She doesn't work any more, but I still think she's cute.

And I love this picture of me watching her walk for the first time, with Grandmother and Uncle David appearing to be as interested in her as I was!

My dollie's name is Matil because she was made by Mattel toy company. I'm pretty sure I didn't name her, because I wouldn't have been aware of the brand name. My grandma's name was Matil, and apparently that sounds enough like Mattel that my parents "helped" me decide that's what her name was!

I did a little research online to see if I could discover what her commercial name was. And I found her! She was originally called  "Baby Small Walk." I don't know why she was called "Baby". She was a toddler, not a baby! But I did find a picture of her with her original dress... and all of her hair, looks like!

Her hair is so silky (like a Barbie's) that it was ideal for combing. Good thing my mother kept her put away most of the time. Otherwise she would have probably been completely bald by the time I was 10!

Visit Coloradolady for more Vintage Thingy Thursday posts.

21 comments:

Coloradolady said...

How wonderful to still have your doll...I love it!! Happy VTT!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

How great is that! Love the picture that goes along with the sweet doll! Happy VTT!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

concretenprimroses said...

such a sweet little doll and well loved it seems.
Kathy

Mari said...

What a treasure. I bet it brought back memories when you found it!

Amanda said...

How lovely! Have you considered creating a shadow box collage using an enlarged Christmas picture with the actual doll?

marian said...

oh what a cutie..how delightful to still have her

Elizabeth said...

She's really in good shape. Most of my dolls' hair is all funky. I always wanted one of those dolls that walked.

Vonlipi said...

Lovely memories! Thanks for sharing this delightful doll.

Happy VTT

Dori said...

you find the coolest things when you go to mom's house...tell me where to dig! I wanna find cool stuff too! Oh, wait, I don't dig there 'cause Garrett would be a bit too helpful!

LV said...

I was never a doll person. Do not know why as my sisters had them. I really like yours and it is something to always hand down to another generation.

~~Carol~~ said...

I love your dolly! And she reminds me of a walking doll that I had, and also a crawling doll. Gosh, I loved all of my dolls so much! You're lucky to still have her!
Happy VTT!
Carol

Postcardy said...

Your doll is cute and it looks like she is still in good condition.

Ann Creek said...

Love the doll. It's so great to have things to hold that mean so much to us

Sandra said...

Loved the photo more than the doll but it is sweet you still have her.

marmielu said...

Thanks for showing us your doll. That's neat to still have her. One of my favorites was a doll called "Patty Playdoll". She was about as tall as I was when I got her.
Mary Lou

Bea said...

She is a sweetheart. Glad your mom kept her safe for you all these years.

Miri said...

Great doll! and a good chuckle about her hair! Glad your Mom kept her for you!

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

You are sooo lucky to still have that wonderful childhood dollie! Loved the picture of you watching her walk with your grandmother watching. I bet she's happy to be back in your arms again. Nice VTT post.

GardenofDaisies said...

What a sweet little dolly!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

great story and lovely dolls too! thanks for sharing & happy VTT

KK said...

She is stinkin cute! I just loved that Christmas picture. That certainly was a wonderful Christmas present then and now!
Kk