Sunday, January 24, 2010

Homemade Ice Cream (sugar-free)


In my quest for healthier eating for my family I've been pleasantly surprised to find that our regular grocery store has quite a few organic options to the foods we are used to eating. Yes, it's usually a little more expensive, but I've decided that it's worth it. Our grocery store even has organic ice cream!

The only thing is, I've also been trying to eat "low-glycemic" to try to eliminate my migraines. And the only sugar-free ice cream I've found has the nasty artificial sweeteners. We even have a really extensive natural foods supermarket in our area. I was sure they would have a sugar-free ice cream with a natural sugar substitute such as xylitol or stevia. But they didn't! So I decided I would just have to make my own.

After reading several recipes (some calling for sugar, some for other sweeteners) I came up with my own concoction using granulated xylitol and real vanilla. My family declared it delicious. We honestly could not tell that it was not sweetened with sugar. Well, not by taste anyway. Cost-wise, xylitol is significantly more expensive than cane sugar. So this will have to be a special treat!

I also want to try tweaking the recipe. For homemade ice cream it was good! But  you know how homemade ice cream is usually a little "grainy" compared to commercial ice cream? I want to try to see if I can get it to come out creamier. I'm thinking if I cooked it first into a kind of custard before freezing it, that might work.

I think I might wait until the weather warms up a bit, though. January is just not the best time for homemade ice cream!

5 comments:

Debra said...

That looks yummy!!!

We need to do something like that again!

Nancy M. said...

That's awesome! It looks good!

pse said...

I want some please.

The Watts Family said...

Oh THAT LOOOKS FABULOUS!! I'll be right over but there probably isn't any left right! ~Enjoy your ice cream Blessings Heather :)

Randi said...

I have an old recipe for sherbet that is quite 'creamy' for sherbet. The secret? When the mixture is mostly frozen but not yet 'hard', use an electric mixer to blend the ingredients a second time. This apparently redis-tributes ingredients more evenly and breaks up the initial crystalization of the moisture content. It really does make it creamier. I have made the recipe using this technique and not using it. The second blending while ingredients are partly frozen does give the end product a smoother texture.