Sunday, December 23, 2007

Holiday Beverages

What could be cozier than a steaming mug of something delicious to sip on these chilly, gray days? I admit, my favorite these days is a caramel latte... but unfortunately, that's not very good for my waistline. I'm glad there are lots of alternatives to choose from!

~~~~~~~~

I love spicy hot tea... and especially enjoy the Celestial Seasonings holiday teas about this time of year. Several years ago my sister-in-law introduced me to Nutcracker Sweet and Sugar Plum Spice. I liked both of them. The next year at Christmas time Gingerbread Spice was added to the line, and I liked it even better. Last year the new flavor was Candy Cane Lane, and since I've always enjoyed peppermint tea, it became my new favorite. The new flavor this year is Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride. Of course I had to try it, too. It's probably my least favorite of the five, but I enjoy having all them to rotate through the flavors.

~~~~~~~~

Here's a favorite from my childhood:

Friendship Tea

My mother got this recipe from Sister Frances Rehfeldt.

1 cup instant tea
3 cups sugar (or 2 cups sugar substitute)
2 small packages instant lemonade mix (Kool-aid)
1 14-ounce jar Tang (1 3/4 cups)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves

Mix all well. Use 1 to 3 teaspoons of mix to a cup of boiling water.

~~~~~~~~

Deluxe Hot Cocoa Mix

We included bags of this in our goody boxes this year...

4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup non-dairy coffee creamer
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (4-ounce) package instant chocolate pudding

Place all ingredients in large bowl. Stir together. Store in a sealed container. Add 1/4 cup of mix to an 8 ounce mug and fill with hot water. Add more or less mix depending on your taste.

~~~~~~~~

Do you have any favorites? Please share! I love to try new hot drinks.

1 comment:

pse said...

Karla, look on page 115 of "Family Favorites" at Hot Pineapple Juice. It is wonderful!