Monday, February 9, 2009

Simple Hospitality

Growing up in a country preacher's home, we often had people over for snacks and fellowship after an evening service. Invariably, Mother made popcorn. Usually we had something sweet, too-- cookies or cake or maybe pie. But always popcorn.

The nice thing about popcorn is that it is very inexpensive to make and practically everyone likes it. Mother had a battered old skillet with a lid that was the "popcorn pan." I don't think it was designed to be a popcorn pan, but I never knew of it to be used for anything else. She'd heat a little oil in it, then add the popcorn, and shake-shake-shake the skillet over the burner. If there were a lot of guests she would keep popping corn until everyone had all they wanted.

These days I use the microwave to make popcorn. But I don't use pre-packaged microwave popcorn (usually). Instead, I have a plastic microwave "popcorn popper" that uses regular popcorn. I know microwave popcorn is not terribly expensive, but this is even cheaper... besides, you can flavor it or season it the way you like! My husband likes some of the popcorn seasoning blends that are on the shelf in the grocery store right above the bags of popcorn. Me? I'd just as soon have it with melted butter (not margarine!) and plain ol' salt.

And guess what? If you come over to my house for Wednesday night Bible study, I'll serve you popcorn! Along with something sweet! I guess it's just a family tradition.

11 comments:

Dori said...

How very funny...I was telling Rosemary (my boss) about that very popcorn pan TODAY! How weird is that! I just love that old pan! Probably more what it symbolized that the actual pan though!

TattingChic said...

How cute. Well, hospitability is a lovely quality. The popcorn looks yummy and thanks for offering, LOL! ;)

pse said...

Sunday night I popped corn on the stove just for me. I wonder where is that old pan. Granddaddy bought me a "Whirley-Pop" pan several years ago. It works great!

Katey said...

I will have to pop popcorn this Thursday now I am craving it! :)

Emily said...

Pop corn really is loved by most people! So true! I remember using a big popcorn maker (when microwave popcorn wasn't around) and it was always so yummy.

Have a beautiful day!

MuseSwings said...

Popcorn is perfection in a snack! I'll stop by your Bible study for popcorn if you'll make extra for me to take to my Thursday morning study! Yep - this is a time when real butter is required. Mom had a "popcorn" pan too. Same top of the stove method, same great snack.

Granny Two Shoes said...

What a delightful blog!

Nicol said...

We have been looking for a popcorn popper for some time. Nothing fancy. Growing up we had an air popper and I LOVED it. Popcorn is a nice snack and thankfully my dd loves it.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I had popcorn for supper tonight! LOL! My hubby is working tonight, and that's all I wanted!

I hear you are coming to FL soon. Where are you going to in FL?

Katherine

De'Etta @ Choosing Joy said...

Beautiful blog, Karla. I've been thinking about hospitality a lot lately....loved this post and reminded me how simple and yet meaningful it can be.

hennhouse said...

My mom has a popcorn pan, too!

I make (air-popped) popcorn for my kids almost every day after school.