Friday, March 2, 2007

Cheese Log

The ladies over at 5 Minutes for Mom are having so much fun with their Ultimate Blog Party! In the spirit of the party I have decided to offer a copy of my family cookbook as a prize. It is a comb-bound book with hundreds of tried-and-true everyday family recipes. Each party guest who comments on my site during the party will be entered in a drawing. I will contact you through your blog if you win.

I also thought I would share some of my favorite "party" recipes from the cookbook throughout the party. Hope you enjoy!

Cheese Log
This is a recipe I came up with just experimenting with ingredients we like. I like to shape it into a log because then it slices nicely to put on crackers without having to worry about breaking the cracker when you spread it.

2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese
1 package dry Ranch or Italian dressing
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 jar dried beef, finely chopped
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup black olives, finely chopped (optional)
1/4 - 1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup finely chopped nuts

Mix all ingredients except nuts. Adjust amount of sour cream used depending on how dry the mixture is. You want it to mix thoroughly but still hold together nicely. I mix it with my clean hands. Shape into a log or a ball. Spread the chopped nuts on a sheet of waxed paper and roll the cheese log until coated. Allow to chill several hours before serving.

No comments: