Friday, April 18, 2008

House Plants

Are house-plants too boring for Show & Tell? My Christmas Cactus is blooming, so maybe that will keep the "show" from being too boring. I think he's mixed up on his seasons, though. He made a half-hearted attempt to bloom about Thanksgiving time (which is the "proper" time for a Christmas Cactus, I think), but a week or two before Easter he started popping out buds again and hasn't let up blooming since! Anyway, each of these plants has a "story" so I thought they might make an interesting Show & Tell.
The first plant on the left is my over-35-year-old Philodendron. Grandmother sent me a dollar for my 6th birthday in 1971. I can't remember why I decided I wanted to buy a plant with it, but I did. For a few years Mother "helped" me take care of it... and then Grandmother had it for awhile. I remember we got it back when I was in about the 5th grade... and I remember being so impressed that I had such an "old" plant! Ha. It grew long and flourished on top of Mother's piano or on a bookcase over the next few years, and I took it to college with me... and then to my first home when I got married in 1985... and here it is, welcoming you into my new home! I thought I had lost it a few years back... it had gotten so spindly and was down to mostly vines and just a few leaves. I took it apart and repotted it and nursed it carefully, and you can see that it came back for me. If you're looking for an easy-care house-plant I don't think you could get one much easier than a Philodendron! It wants a new pot now, so I hope to get to that soon.

The next plant is what we call an "airplane plant". See the little airplane "flying" down below? (The philodendron vine kinda overlaps it.) This plant was a "start" from a plant my family received for my great-grandfather's funeral in 1979. No, I haven't had mine that long. I think Mother gave me this start... oh, 6 or 8 years ago. It seems like it's had a hard time getting established for me. I am hopeful that it will enjoy the light in our new entry-way and will finally flourish for me.

The third plant belonged to our next-door neighbor 4 or 5 years ago. She was our pastor's mother. She had a green thumb and loved plants of all kinds. When she passed away (at age 93) her daughter-in-law (our pastor's wife) gave me her Christmas cactus. She told me she had given "Grandma" a start off of hers, but Grandma's always bloomed more often. She attributed it to Grandma's green thumb... but it has continued to bloom more often for me, too, and I don't think I necessarily have a green thumb. I enjoy the plants I have (I only have 2 or 3 others besides these), but I wouldn't say house-plants are a hobby of mine or anything. So we don't know why this one blooms more often than it's "mother"! Kinda strange.

Show and TellVisit Kelli's House for more Show & Tell posts.

13 comments:

Constance said...

My Christmas Cactus was off this year too! The first year I repotted it, it went crazy, being drenched in blooms at Christmas! The second year, it bloomed in February. Tis year it was a Christmas, Valentines Day, St Patrick's Day Cactus! I think it needs a calendar check. That's amazing how old the Phil is! I had an Airplane/Spider plant many years ago. I loved the babies hanging down off it!
Connie

The Apron Queen said...

My kids call the airplane plant a spider plant. Does look like little baby spiders. Airplanes too though! Beautiful plants. I always enjoy visiting you.

My show & tell is up... vintage bling bling! Do stop by. I love the company.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Rue said...

I don't think plamts are too boring at all ;) Great stories with each of them. I can't believe you have a plant that's 35! Amazing :)

Have a great day,
rue

Connie Marie said...

How fun to have such a long story with each of your plants! So many plants come home and either get overrun with new bugs or just die! You know your cactus plant flowers because your Grandmother probably went to bed and turned off the lights! They like for six weeks straight... light for 12 hrs, and COMPLETE dark for 12 hrs. Then they bloom like magic. But, in our world, lights are on too much so they don't bloom as often.

I enjoyed seeing your plants.

Barbara H. said...

I love the stories behind the plants! How neat to have plants with a history!

Farrah said...

I don't have ANY live plants in the house! Greg has no desire for them either. It could be because both of us had to water houseplants as one of our childhood chores. I so disliked that job, as my mother had quite a few. However, I liked your plant stories, and I definitely think it's nice when people have them. :-)

Char said...

I love house plants. How neat to have them for so long. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

e-Mom said...

I had no idea house plants could live that long!!! 35 years is ancient. Loved your plant stories, thanks. :~D

MammyT said...

Plants are not boring! My Christmas cactus bloomed 3 times this year, counting right now. I don't know what it's thinking. I know your airplane as a "spider plant". I don't have one right now. I like them a lot.
A 35-year-old Philodendron! I would think it would be taking over the neighborhood by now.
Nancy

Jewelgirl said...

You have a very green thumb!
No houseplants here, my cats
would munch on them and probably
knock them over.

Jaderocks said...

I loved your plants and I'm a little envious 35 years I can't get any houseplant to stay alive inside for more than 35 days. I love plants but for some reason I just can't grow them in the house. I guess I'll just stick to the yard then.

Aliene said...

I love plants! It's so good to have one so special as the one you got when you were 6yrs. I have several airplane plants growing in the ground where pieces of the orginal dropped off. Of course, this is LOouisiana! A lot of plants are already in full bloom.

P.S. Let me know how I am doing
Aunt 'Lene

Carole said...

I love the stories about your house plahts, Karla, especially the Philodendron. I enjoy looking at beautiful plants so much, but tend to kill any I touch. My grandmother had the gift, but it skipped me.