Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cheesy Broccoli Quiche

Saturday Stirrings is a blog meme that my friend Farrah has participated in for several weeks. It is hosted by FiddleDeeDee at It Coulda' Been Worse, which is one of my favorite blogs to read. I have been wanting to join in, too, but just needed a chance to catch my breath a bit from moving.

This is a quiche recipe that I tried last weekend. I found the original recipe at Simply Recipes, but I am posting the recipe with my modifications. My family loved it, so I'm sure I'll be making it again.

Crustless Cheesy Broccoli Quiche

1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cups milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard
5 eggs
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup frozen broccoli

1/4 cup chopped green onions (I didn't have, but we would like them, so I'll put them on next time.)
1/4 cup real bacon bits
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring until bubbly. Gradually add the milk; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool, about 15-20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cottage cheese, baking powder, salt and mustard; set aside.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add the cream cheese, the cottage cheese mixture and the milk/flour sauce. Fold in the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.

Butter casserole dish. Put broccoli in bottom. Pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle the top with chopped green onions and crumbled bacon. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, around the top. Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned. A knife inserted into the center of the quiche should come out clean. Let rest for 15 minutes, serve.


Makes 8 servings.

6 comments:

Farrah said...

Welcome to the meme, Karla! Now that you are here, I think the quality of the recipes is going to go up a notch! Hee-hee! Your quiche sounds delish!! I have a spinach one that I'm crazy about. I'll have to post it sometime, and we can compare notes. I'm just not sure where it is right now...you'd think I had just moved or something! ;-)

The Apron Queen said...

This looks yummy! My kinda food!

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Heather said...

Sounds simple and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great weekend!

It's All Good! said...

Hello Karla, thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit. Looks like we have some things in common. I, too, homeschool. My brother, Jeff, lives there in Couer D' Alene. He works for the PO. I bought the chippy utensils on Ebay in a couple of separate transactions. Didn't cost too much. Glad you enjoyed it.
Happy Sunday!
Brenda :)

MammyT said...

OH YUM! What else can I say? Now, I could make a meal out of this!
Nancy

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

This TOTALLY appeals to the carboholic in me that needs to just say "NO!"

Yummy. I'll be trying this. Thank you!