Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Sweet-and-Savory-of-Yummy

The theme for this week's tea party blog-a-thon at Gracious Hospital-i-tea is "The-Sweet-and-Savory-of-Yummy" and we're all supposed to share our favorite tea time recipes.

So, from my kitchen... first a favorite cookie recipe.

I have been making these for years from The Fanny Farmer Cookbook which says, "The meltingly light taste of these rich, buttery confections makes them disappear almost as quickly as you can make them."

Viennese Cresents

1/2 pound butter (use real butter for best flavor)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup ground nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla (again, real vanilla is best)
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream butter, then add granulated sugar, flour, nuts, and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Shape with your fingers in delicate crescents, about 2 x 1/2 inches. Roll in powdered sugar and bake on ungreased cookie sheets for about 30 minutes, until just faintly browned. Cool, then roll in more powdered sugar before serving.

Next... a recipe for a delicious instant tea beverage that my mother liked to keep on hand when I was growing up. She said Mrs. Rehfeldt gave her this recipe.

Friendship Tea

1 cup instant tea
3 cups sugar
2 packages instant lemonade mix (Kool-aid)
1 14-ounce jar Tang (1 3/4 cups)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cloves

Mix all well. Use 1 to 3 teaspoons of mix to a cup of boiling water.

And finally... a favorite tea sandwich spread...

Cucumber Chive Spread

1 small cucumber (seeded and shredded)
8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
2 tablespoons chives
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Happy Tea-Time!

14 comments:

Farrah said...

Those all sound delicious, Karla! Absolutely delish!!

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

Karla, the drink recipe is fabulous, I'm sure that the others are, too. It's just that recipes for beverages are rare. Thanks so much!

La Tea Dah said...

Thanks, Karla, for the great tea-time recipes! I love the friendship tea --- and have had it before. It's so delish! So glad you joined in the blog-a-thon this week!

LaTeaDah

Carole said...

Your recipes sound wonderful, Karla. The "Friendship Tea" is similar to a beverage I made in college many years ago, but had lost the recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Scooterblu's Whimsy said...

These all sound delicious! I am definetely going to try the cucumber chive spread! Thanks for sharing! :)

~Rhonda

Charli and me said...

Thank you for the wonderful recipes. I loved your post.

ellen b said...

Oh thank you so much for all these lovely recipes. Wonderful...

pse said...

I haven't had any tea like that in a very long time. I should make some more. I love your cookies. I'll take two please and I want to try the spread. Hope I can remember it when I have cucumbers.

marye said...

I make that tea every year for my daughter. :)

Denise said...

The cucumber chive spread sounds so yummy. I've enjoyed a similar spread at a tea before but I like the idea of chives in it. Thank you for sharing some yummy recipes. I'll have to share the Friendship Tea recipe with my mom. We're great fans of Mrs. Rehfeldt ~ she's quite the lady!

I was looking through my recipes the other day and saw several we exchanged as little girls just learning how to bake. Bonnie Butter Cake was one ~ do you still make it? It is the best yellow cake ever!

Have a wonderful rest-of-the-week!

Steph said...

MMMMMmmmm! I hope to try your cookie recipe!

Kathy said...

Love your recipes, Karla. Thanks! Kathy@ Mimi's Garden

Grace Yaskovic said...

my family has used the same crescent cooky recipe for generations, I love them!!!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Very nice post! I'm enjoying reading all the recipes! I finally have mine posted too!

Katherine