Sunday, May 18, 2008

Spring Thaw

Spring has been late in arriving here in north Idaho this year. We've had more cool, overcast days than warm, sunny ones. Then, all of sudden, the weather decided to pretend to be summer... just for 2 days. It got up to 90 degrees yesterday!

Today we drove up the Coeur d'Alene River. Remember all that snow we got back in January? Here's what it looks like now:
To fully appreciate the drama of the picture, you should understand that this river is typically crystal clear in the summer... and about half this wide. It's hard to gauge the extra depth because it's so muddy. But that's a lot of water!

And the snow has not all melted yet! We were actually turned back from going as far "up the river" as we had intended because of the snow on the road. (We were in our little car.)
Meanwhile, "back at the ranch"... I've discovered that we have lilac bushes! Look real close. See those tiny purple buds? They'll be blooming next week, I betcha!
Not only that, but we have the finest crop of dandelions anywhere!

I'm just so proud!!

4 comments:

Toots said...

What beautiful pictures! And I'm so happy for you for you to have lilacs! They're some of my favorite flowers!

A Romantic Porch said...

Your pictures are so interesting. Still have snow melting, huh? Wow! I'm proud of your lilacs and dandelions too!xoRachel

Brumbemom said...

Hey Karla,
Back in 2002 we took a road trip out west and we drove for several miles along the Coeur d'Alene River, and I remember thinking it was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. I wrote today about people being jealous of me, but now I am jealous of your pics. :-)
Thanks for your comments on my blog too!

aliene said...

Hi Karla,
Glad you are finally walking in the light of spring. I can't believe 90 degrees. That is worse than Louisiana. Except we have all the humidity that makes it seem hotter. I am pulling up dandelions. Can you believe that?
They will take over the flower bed if I don't. But I guess if I was in Idaho - any flower would be beautiful. I enjoyed the pictures. Love ya! Aunt Lene