Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember

Our alarm didn't go off this morning. At 6:30 my husband woke me up saying, "We're a half hour late!" Not being a morning person, it is hard for me to get in gear so suddenly after being awakened, but I did my best. I like to check my email and read a few blogs as I have my morning coffee, and all over the blogosphere the question was being asked, "Do you remember?"

Throughout my life on certain days of the year older people would say to each other, "Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Do you remember?" Or, "This is the day President Kennedy was shot. Where were you when you heard the news?" Listening in, I would shake my head. No, I didn't remember. I was too young. I guess in the back of my mind I thought things like that couldn't happen in my generation. That is, until 2001.

I was awakened suddenly that September morning, too. My sister-in-law called from Kansas. "Have you had the news on this morning?" Well, no. It was still early here in the Pacific time zone. When she told me what happened, my first question was, "What does this mean for America?" Of course, she had no idea. But we soon found out.

America would never be the same.

And, yes. I remember.

3 comments:

Aliene said...

Karla, I know you have one but I am really trying this for the first time and I don't know very many bloggers. Check it out for me and see if this comes thru. Thanks

Carrie said...

Yes, I remember being called by my sister who asked, Isn't it terrible what's happened? I then turned on the television and the sights and sounds were so terrible, it was like a nightmare... yet we have also witnessed much heroism and courage since that day. God be praised.

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, I enjoyed your "memory" posting. Thanks for doing it? xo rachel