Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Half-a-million Business Cards!

Did you ever wonder what 500,000 business cards would look like? Probably you didn't... but I think it's impressive enough to show you, anyway!

Some of you know that my husband is a printer, and when the print shop got in a huge order for business cards recently, he suggested that it might be blog-worthy. I offered to make him a partner on this blog and let him post about it, but he declined. Said I write better than he does. I don't know so much about that... but I promised to post about it if he would take a picture for me. So he did. And there you are!

Obviously, the business cards haven't been cut apart yet. They are run through the press "sixteen-up" which means there are 16 on each piece of paper. And being the good homeschool mom I am... let's have a little math story problem here, shall we?
A customer ordered 500,000 business cards. The printer can get 16 cards on one sheet of paper. There are 19 stacks of paper (what the printer calls "press lifts"). Approximately how many sheets of paper are in each stack?

6 comments:

Jewlz said...

Ummm... About 1,644.73??? I don't really know. I tried it a couple ways, but I'm not entirely sure.

Rachel said...

Um let's see. It's too early for my brain to work that out. I'll have to wait till my homeschool teen is working on math!

Melissa~ said...

Boy, they must be really confident that they won't be changing information anytime soon, huh? *LOL*

M~
Pink Paper Peppermints

I did not even attempt to solve the math problem...*LOL*...

Farrah said...

Math is something I can do! You divide 500,000 by 16 to get the number of sheets. Then, you divide that number by 19 to get the number of sheets per stack. It comes out to 1,644.737. Jewlz is right! This means that there are 1,644 sheets in 5 of the stacks and 1,645 in 14 of the stacks. The stacks with an extra sheet comes from the decimal part. You subtract off the 1,644 and multiply the decimal part by 19. That gives you 14, which means 14 of the stacks have one extra sheet. Is that right?

Karla said...

Well... Jewlz and Farrah got the math right... but... it's kind of a trick question! Didja notice the "approximately" in the "story"? My husband tells me there are about 1,800 in each stack, because printers always run extra to allow for problems along the way.

The Going Blog said...

Oh good, you have some really smart friends out there. I thought it was an early morning issue but decided that I was never good at word math so I thought I would check back later for the answer :)