Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Signs of Spring


I enjoy living in an area of the country where we have four distinct seasons. Summers are mostly pleasant, sunny days with just enough days of extreme heat to make us feel like we've really had summer and be grateful for the cooler fall days. We have pine forests, so the fall colors are more subdued here than they are some places, but the occasional brilliant maple against the dark pine green is a thing of beauty. And for being so far north we really do have relatively mild winters. Okay, so we really got dumped on with snow this year... but that was unusual. (And it wasn't just a little more than we usually get it. It was a lot more!) Just like the extremely hot days of summer, we have just enough extremely cold days of winter to feel like we've had winter. Otherwise, it's mostly cloudy and chilly, as winter should be. But, oh, the spring! I am always so ready for spring to come. I try not to "wish my life away" waiting for spring, but I do eagerly anticipate the "time of the singing birds and the flowers appearing on the earth."

Now. I didn't establish the calendar or the seasons. You didn't think I did, did you? But if it was up to me, I'd probably rearrange things just a bit to make spring last longer. According to my notion, it can be winter from Thanksgiving to Valentine's Day, spring can be from Valentine's to Memorial Day, then it can be summer until Labor Day, and fall can come between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Who said the seasons had to start according to the sun or the moon or something? Oh. Somebody far wiser than me, I guess. I have no doubt that it's a good thing such things are not up to me.

But Valentine's Day is tomorrow and spring is coming! Just last week I heard the kids say, "It's already 5 o'clock? It's not even dark yet!" (It gets dark around 4:oo during late November and December.) Then when I went to the grocery store and saw a display of happy primroses I just had to buy some to bring home a little "promise of spring" for the kitchen table.

So I've moved my spring countdown ticker up to the top of the page, and I'm watching out my window for more signs of the coming season. It's time to be wrapping up our winter projects and start preparing for our summer activities.

There's a good lesson here. As I watch for signs of spring, am I just as eagerly watching for the coming of Jesus? There is work to be done as we wait, but there is also an urgency to be ready to go soon. And while it will happen in the "twinkling of an eye," just like the coming of spring, there are signs everywhere. It's not going to "sneak up" on us. I want to be watching and working!

10 comments:

Farrah said...

Yes, He is surely coming soon! The signs are all around. The Lion from the Tribe of Judah. The glorious Bridegroom. My Redeemer.

What were the last lines from one of your favorite books, Jane Eyre? It's been years since I read it. I can't quite recall...but I'm certain it was about Christ's return. I don't have the book. Do I remember correctly?

The Going Blog said...

Great post! I would stretch Fall out. That is my most favorite time of year but it doesn't stay energizingly crisp long. You can feel Fall in the air :)I suppose Spring is that way too. ha

Karla said...

I had forgotten about that, Farrah. I do have a copy of Jane Eyre. I just pulled it to see.

'My Master...has forewarned me. Daily He announces more distinctly, "Surely I come quickly!" and hourly I more eagerly respond, "Amen; even so, come, Lord Jesus!"'

Hope said...

Hi Karla,
I came here earlier and tried to post but it wouldn't let me. It kept going to an error page. A little glitch in the system there I guess.

I am looking forward to Spring too. I enjoy living where we have changing seasons too. I love spring but fall is my favorite. I am also looking for the coming of the Lord. Song of Solomon:

For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Sounds like spring to me!

Hugs,
Hope

Sarah said...

Oh I love your analogy with Jesus' return. Beautiful. Thank you.

(I love the Spring countdown thingy too)

marygrace :-) said...

I love spring as well. I think the promise in the air, and the possibilities there are just too much for me to ignore. We don't have many signs of spring yet where I am .. but we *do* have the promise of JESUS' return! :-)

Carrie said...

I also live in an area with four distinct seasons. I wouldn't mind a shorter winter.
Great reflection about the signs of Christ's second coming.
Carrie

MondaythroughSunday said...

Spring ~ crab apple tree blossoms, open windows!! and LIFE! Great post!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I like your seasons plan! I would like a shorter summer (live in FL!)

Yes, I agree the signs that Jesus is coming are everywhere!

Katherine

I would like to invite you to come to my cupcake party! I'll have two Valentine posts.

Susie Harris said...

Oh how I love spring! It's the time of year that all is new. A re birth. God is so good to give us signs of new life, new beginings. What a day that will be! take care my friend, Susie