Monday, March 10, 2008

"More of Him" Monday

Last week I posted about the stress of buying a house, the ups and downs with the bank, but how the Lord had given me peace in spite of all the uncertainty. Well, the details are falling into place, and Lord willing, we will be moving this weekend. But... even with God so obviously working out the details, I still want to worry. What if we can't handle the payments? What if we're making a mistake? Yeah, I'm a worrier... I come by it honestly... but I do fight it!

This week in my devotions I was reading about Moses and the children of Israel. They were getting ready to enter the Promised Land after wandering around for 40 years. Just before they crossed the Jordan, Moses gathered them around for "a little talkin' to"! He reminded them of how the previous generation didn't get to live in the Promised Land... just because they worried too much!! (Ouch!) He had told them:
Look, the Lord your God has set the land before you; go up and possess it, as the Lord God of your fathers has spoken to you; do not fear or be discouraged. Deuteronomy 1:21 (NKJV)
God told them to go! He promised He would be with them! But they took one look at that beautiful place and were too afraid of the giants, and lost it all. What a sad story. Another verse later in the chapter says:
...The Lord your God... went in the way before you to search out a place for you to pitch your tents, to show you the way you should go... Deuteronomy 1:33 (NKJV)
Aren't you glad that is still true for all God's children? He goes before us and shows us the way! We can trust Him!

9 comments:

Robyn said...

Wow! Buying a house takes a ton of faith. I get sick to my stomach when I spend more than $20!! You made a wonderful analogy of Moses and the Israelites going into the promised land...and how some of them missed that opportunity for a lack of faith.

I'm a worrier, too. My husband is not and I say I do it enough for the both of us. I hope all goes well this week!!

diana said...

great post. moses' story is one of my favorite - so many lessons there. it's a great comfort knowing God is leading us and cares enough about us to lead us to good things.

Heather said...

Worrying can get in the way so many times, for me especially! But to remember ALL of the awesome promises that God has made to us helps to ease the worrying.

Thanks for this great reminder!

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, that is such a great reminder...don't worry, be happy. Wish I could sing it to ya. xoRachel

Motherhood for Dummies said...

Buying a house hum....I think I am really fun to look and dream... but when we finally sat down and did the numbers and math...wow...yea not so much fun :)

Hope said...

Hi Karla,
Trying to catch up with everybody today after having company over the weekend!

Yes, I admit, I'm a worrier too. I try to put my worries in God's hands and let Him handle them, but then I try to take them back! Buying a home is a BIG thing but if He has worked things out for you to get this house He will make a way for you to keep it! Your study today just confirmed that to your heart!

I'm glad your parents get to visit. I know you're excited and it doesn't hurt to have extra hands when moving!! :o)

Hugs,
Hope

Hugs,
Hope

Farrah said...

Amen, Karla! They were worriers and complainers...two things so easy to do that we must all resist. I guess we do more praying at those times and keep moving forward.

Simply Heart And Home said...

What a timely post. Thank you for your encouraging words. I need to hear them today.

Blessings

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I tend to be a worrier too, although I am trying hard to conquer that habit! We own a house so I get to be worried every day about how we can continue to pay for it. My husband left his job recently to start a ministry and that means, MORE TO WORRY about (i.e. financially). Thanks so much for the reminder to trust God through it all.

Melissa