Friday, August 29, 2008

Pretty dishes!

If you've been following my blog for awhile you may remember a discussion my aunt Rachel and I had back in the winter about a certain style of vintage china that we both like. (Be sure to read the comments on that post if you click back to see what I'm talking about.)

A couple weeks ago I was out garage-saling and happened upon this pretty serving bowl.There were no prices marked (one of my pet peeves at garage sales, as I hate dickering!), but it had a couple of small chips out of the side of it, so I was hopeful that it wouldn't be too expensive. When I asked the lady about it, she looked it over and then asked me, "What would make you happy to take it home with you?" Considering the chips, I tentatively said, "A dollar?" She was happy with that. "A buck? It's yours!"

Since I have red accents in my kitchen (and I love the dainty pattern) I was very pleased to get it. I had seen similar patterns in blue and green, but I hadn't seen the red before.

Imagine my delight to discover a "matching" sugar bowl marked 50 cents at another garage sale that same morning! It is missing it's lid, but look at the pretty flowers painted on the inside!The outside of the sugar bowl is half red like the "ribbon" on the bowl. But I couldn't figure out why the sugar bowl had the gold filigree on it and the bowl didn't.
Then I turned the dishes over. Turns out, they are not the same pattern at all! They aren't even from the same manufacturer. Imagine that! I would have never known.

Maybe that will double my chances of finding more pieces in either of those patterns, you think?

Stop by Kelli's House for more Show & Tell posts:
Show and Tell

20 comments:

ceekay said...

They sure do look alike. I hope you can find more pieces. The hunt is part of the fun!

Farrah said...

Wow! They really do almost match perfectly!

GrumpyAngel said...

They look like they go together. How interesting that they don't. Very pretty. I hope you find more matching items.

Steven said...

Very nice blog I want You all the best !

pse said...

Love the dishes. Where are you displaying them?

Hootin' Anni said...

Unlike you, I LOVE to dicker the price. So many times they just want it gone and they're happy to take a lower price that they expected. It's part of the fun. hehehehe

I love the ruby color in the design. You did good! And if it was just for 'show'...and no special purpose other than that, why NOT buy it?! You did good.

My show n tell is all about baskets this week. I do hope you can find time to stop by! Happy weekend to you.

A Hint of Home said...

Great prices for such pretty dishes. I hope you can find more. They look alike to me.

Kellie said...

they are beautiful! And they sure do look like the same pattern.

Miss Sandy said...

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. The patterns are beautiful. I found the same thing out about some china I inherited. I wondered why some had a green rim and some a gold. They are the same pattern only two different companies made them. Like yours they are a perfect match.

Sandra said...

I honestly thought they were the same pattern....they are beautiful ;)

Barbara H. said...

How pretty -- they do coordinate well together.

Carla said...

Perfect matching! I love your idea of adding to BOTH patterns! Love that red! Congrats!

Toots said...

Very pretty!

Melissa Wertz said...

They are both very very pretty. The sugar bowl is great for those packets of sugar free stuff like splenda. I even use it to store those chrystal lite singles in. (DH likes those.)

She's Gone Fishin said...

Hey there...
I love that pattern and have a couple'a pieces myself in a slop or waste bowl for tea leaf dredgings and a plate or two. I used to take care of an elderly woman of 80+ who had a whole cabinet full of it by Homer Laughlin. She'd bought it when her and her first husband set up housekeeping a coons age ago. She is gone now and I miss her :-(
Gail&Callie =^..^=

Jewelgirl said...

Great find! The china is very pretty
with the red accents and flowers!

elaine said...

This is new for me so hope you have time to play. Tag you’re it.
The rules are: Mention six quirky, yet boring, unspectacular details about yourself. Tag six other bloggers by linking to them. Go to each person’s blog and leave a comment that lets them know they’ve been tagged. If you participate, let the person know who tagged you you’ve posted your quirks!

Kelli said...

What a gorgeous pattern and I love the flowers inside the sugar bowl. I hope you can find more pieces to go along with them!
~Kelli

Schotzy said...

I love the colors that is amazing how they match! Hope you can find many more!!!

Kathy said...

LOVE your serving bowl and sugar bowl, even though they didn't go together! No one would guess because they look as if they were made for the same pattern!
Kathy