Friday, August 15, 2008

State Thimbles

As promised, here is a picture of the thimbles I collected on our trip last week. Just thought I'd show them to you as part of Kelli's Show & Tell.

I have the thimbles lined up in the order I got them.

The first one is actually not a state thimble. I picked it up at a garage sale earlier this summer for a dime! After I noticed how well it fit in the tiny lower cubbies of my type case, I decided I'd like to collect more thimbles.

The second thimble is metal. I got it at WalMart in Butte, Montana, not realizing that the prettier ceramic thimbles would be available at gas station convenience stores along the way, at a cheaper price. Once I discovered that, I decided to focus my collection on that style of thimble. Which explains why I'm missing thimbles from Minnesota and North Dakota. The places we stopped in those states that had thimbles only had the more expensive/less attractive metal ones. I decided I could hunt for pretty ones from those states another time.

That's a pretty good start, don't you think? I will enjoy adding to my collection as we travel.

Of course, I'll probably add Idaho and Washington this weekend!
Show and Tell

16 comments:

pse said...

Your thimbles are beautiful. I agree you should search for the pretty ones. I got one in England I should give you. It doesn't have England on it, just a rose.

ceekay said...

In a box somewhere...I have a few thimbles. I have one that my aunt gave me that has my birthflower on it. I think they are beautiful. Keep going on your collection!

A Hint of Home said...

Traveling is so much fun and challenging at times. That is a cute, easy item to collect. Thanks for sharing.

Reynie said...

I love collections. Each one probably brings back memories of special times for you. I have a cross collection and my hubs and I purchase a cross whenever we travel (sometimes harder to find though). I display them on my wall and they all are special to me.

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, That really does look so very cute! xo rachel

Vintage Whimsy said...

Oooh, I love your new collection. It's funny - I was *just* talking about this with my husband the other day. I recently drove from Maryland out here to Wyoming and along the way I was trying to think if I should pick up something from each state. Well, it didn't occur to me until I was in Nebraska that I should start either a thimble or a spoon collection. I think I've decided on the thimbles and I'll start here in Wyoming and pick up ones in states along my way back to the East Coast next month. Thanks for sharing!!

Carrie said...

You’ve started a very nice travel souvenir collection. I just have an assortment of thimbles.
When I travel I look for blue and white souvenir plates and also silver souvenir spoons.
I shared my thimble collection in my post on my pincushion chairs:
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5572007622968150591&postID=7730074186308645237
Enjoy your new collecting emphasis!
Carrie – Oak Rise Cottage

Carrie said...

You’ve started a very nice travel souvenir collection. I just have an assortment of thimbles.
When I travel I look for blue and white souvenir plates and also silver souvenir spoons.
I shared my thimble collection in my post on my pincushion chairs:
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=5572007622968150591&postID=7730074186308645237
Enjoy your new collecting emphasis!
Carrie – Oak Rise Cottage

Mam said...

Oh, what a fun collection this will be. I actually like the metal one, too. Unique looking.
Nancy

Barbara H. said...

What a fun hobby -- they are so pretty!

Amanda said...

That is a pretty good start! Very nice. :)

Melissa Wertz said...

Nice collection! My grandma had a collection of thimbles. I think one of my aunts has it now. You will love collecting them over the years. My grandma did.

Kathy said...

What a nice collection! It's a nice memory from your trips!
Kathy

Carla said...

I have thimbles too! I wanted some thing small and they are perfect-sometimes hard to find-but perfect! Thank you for sharing!

La Tea Dah said...

I love your thimble collection!

LaTeaDah

Anonymous said...

My grandmother collected thimbles from all the states and other various types for many years. I think one of my aunts has her collection now so I have started collecting them myself in honor of her memory. I know she would want me to do that. Your collection looks like a great start. Keep on collecting and hand it down to another generation so they can have as much fun and love out of it as you do.